1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with a build, short scale conversion!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by stuntbass77, Jan 3, 2018.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    2B1E3186-F685-43AB-AC6F-1F145126DD47. FD30E785-4118-481B-BC56-2FF7B1D61807. 8D8BEFFA-C44A-456A-864A-53E5FE2AD86B. 8468D042-E7F6-41BB-83B0-11B7AEBFA789. I purchased a “Allen Eden” short scale neck to put on my warmoth body. I have a walnut pick guard that I am in the process of completing ( have to shape the top and make a 45 degree cut to attach the two pieces of the pick guard together). I also have to move the bridge and have wood to cover the old holes with said pick guard. My problem is the neck is a 2 1/2 heal and fits well side to side but the butt if the heal is not fender spec and is not as round. What is the best way to make a template (drawing around the bottom of the neck) so I can route the body to fit the neck shape. Allen Eden does not sell a body for this neck and it seems well made (for the money) and the body has always been used for experimenting with different necks, pickup placement, and bridges. Even if I make a body from scratch I will need a template for the neck. Any help is appreciated. If I like the neck I will probably put a drop top on the body and make her look good ( figured walnut maybe ).

2. Your piece of walnut is a good start. When I need to make a neck template like that I just trace around the heel and cut with the bandsaw or scroll saw, whichever one is closer or plugged in. Then, get the flies, rasps, sandpaper, weapon of your choice and have at it. Just keep testing the template on the heel and remove whatever is not the neck. Oh yeah, I usually use 1/2” or 3/4” mdf or something similar.

Beej, RBS_Johnson and stuntbass77 like this.
  3. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Thanks for the advice!

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yeah, like Matt said, making up a routing template isn't hard. Set the neck heel on a piece of 3/4" MDF and draw around it with a fine pencil. Rough saw it out, file it to shape so that it fits on the heel with a paper-thin gap. Then clamp it to the body and rout.

But I have to ask, why not just trim the neck to fit the body? From here, it looks like it will fit fine if you slightly increase the radiuses on the two corners. A couple of minutes with a sanding block will do it. Much less work than re-routing the body.

stuntbass77 likes this.
  5. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    FED0F0B3-B969-46F2-AF09-D28B63B79F20. I don’t want to have to do this again!

6. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I am one to always take your advice, gonna try to match the neck to the body via a sanding block. Thanks from chiming in ! I will have to practice in the future working with files and other hand tools to be able to make a template that does not exist anywhere ( hone some skills with small hand tools ). Everything is CNC ( for the most part ) and lots of use need to learn to do it the way the old master craftsmen did.

7. Jisch

Jisch Supporting Member

You don't have to sand the whole neck butt to shape either. I've used a few Guitar Fetish necks and had this problem, I sanded the part of the neck heel that's in the joint to the new shape, but left the fretboard and top side that is above the pocket original. It means less sanding and the joint is obscured a bit if it's not perfect.

8. +1 on @Jisch suggestion. I was going to mention just sanding the part of the heel that goes in the body but he got there first.:thumbsup:

9. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I did that on the bass in the picture above and it isn’t very visible. I used a dremel and it did end up fitting. Everyone seems to agree shaping the neck is the best way to go, I agree. I had and idea last night while I was laying in bed to adhere a piece of MDF with some double-sided tape to the heel of one of my warmoth necks and use a bottom ride bearing router bit to make a replica template of a standard fender neck heal. Then I would take the MDF template I made and with two small screws ( I would have to counter sink the screws on the template so my router could ride over the flat template I made )screw it to the heel of the Eden neck. Then with the top ride bearing router bit use the Fandor template to round off the corners of the Eden neck heel.

Jisch likes this.
  10. Jisch

Jisch Supporting Member

I would do it with hand tools, it's a minor amount of material. Of course the method you're describing will work, but in my opinion the chance for something going wrong is higher (something slips or is not lined up perfectly). Keep us updated, I'd like to see how it comes out!

stuntbass77 likes this.
  11. Hand tools are probably the way to go. I might do the template thing with my robosander. With hand sanding or an oscillating sander it should go pretty quick.

Plus, with hand tools you can, hopefully, catch something right away if it starts to get off. With power tools, that may be it for the neck. Ask me how I know.:D

stuntbass77 likes this.
  12. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    B254B06B-A698-4E41-928E-8C0E51AAA689. E8DB3AB9-D9F5-4939-B425-5981D2CF5476. EAFF3522-C316-4F15-88C9-C9419E2F3A96. 14B21CC9-E670-4DE1-886D-0FF990FCD895. So I made a little progress with rounding the heel of my “edan” short scale neck. I ended up using screwing mdf to my existing warmoth bass neck and used a bottom ride bearing to make a template to be screwed onto the heel of the eden neck ( eden neck has a square heel not a true fender heel ). Worked perfect. It that was the easy part. Next I screwed the mdf template I made to the eden heel, now the hard part. I chose to use the router in place of a file as my skills in this area are weak ( but this would have been the right way a true luthier would have used, I just got lucky ). Now I went to my Stew Mac top ride bear router bit. I just went around the very corners of the heel, just enough to make the heel rounded. Anyway, I worked and I’m a little closer to finishing my project . I wanted to try this as I don’t want t sell a bass and replace it with a short scale unless it helps with my neuropathy. In the the pick below you will see two “blue” pieces of tape, that’s going to be the bridge at some point ( I have walnut to fill in the bottom were the old bridge was ).

oheare and Beej like this.