1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with a Franken-Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wveeder, Jan 23, 2012.

1. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Hello
    I'm new here. i bought a Fender P bass deluxe MIM off of Ebay. Its a good bass at a good price. I think its put together uses pieces of other bases. I'm wondering about the neck and if the decales are original. I'll include pics. It has a 1970's TV logo and made in Mexico pluz serialnumber on the back of the headstock. This seems odd for a MIM from 1996. Any ideas??

Attached Files:

2. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Bump...have the bass now. Nice player. Smaller body than normal p bass, lighter too. Sounds ok but still want to know its story.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Looks like a MIM neck w/ decal bolted onto some type of PJ body. If you post some shots of the neck pocket and pickup routing w/ out the pick guard you should get an accurate I'd.

4. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Heres the routing...I'll look in neck pocket tomorrow...I thinks its a squire body

Attached Files:

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Is that a wood insert in the truss rod hole? What is the neck width at the nut?

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Looks like a Jazz width neck. MIM from that era had a different logo and serial number on the front. What is the serial number?

7. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    it appears that the neck is adjusted through a hole on the neckplate...haven't seen this that much. More for jazz basses I think??

8. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    serial number is Mn6 556721. I called Fender and they could not find this number but maybe I need to ask for a Jazz bass? Does look like a jazz bass neck and a new decal.

9. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Some of the special/deluxes had a jazz neck, like the California (this doesn't look like a California). But it looks like the neck and body are original. I've seen that neck tilt adjuster on some 90's basses but don't remember which models. There were many variants Your serial number has an extra digit for a 90's MIM. Should be MN6xxxxx.
    Guitar Nucleus - Fender Serial Numbers

10. The decal looks like the one that Fender used from 1968-1976.The only reason I know is that I have just bought one for my MIM Precision neck.

11. I've only seen that adjuster with a pj config, on the korean made fender p bass special, I remember owning one way back , but it also had a switch and a small led light that would come on as it was active, does yours have a battery compartment?

12. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Nope. Fender said it is a 1996 neck for sure but with a six digit serial number which they can't find. The body is either a special players series, which they can't find, or an american body with a jazz Mexican neck. But for the price I paid I know there's no American parts in here. Have not check Kor though.

13. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    One tech said it was a special players series??? Any ideas

14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    The pocket looks like my Jazz Special (1989 which is actually a P body+Jazz neck). But not exactly. Same adjuster, not the same holes/routing.

MN6 with six-digits? You sure?

15. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    yup Mn6 556721... routed like an american p bass, Jazz neck dates from 1996 funny serial number and Pj pups.

16. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Just to kind of end this thread...talk to Fender...talked to techs...don't really care in the end because this bass kicks ass. Thanks for your help everyone...here a pick of her all finished....Mexicy p bass whatever!!!

Attached Files: