Help with a head case....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Yeah, I did that on purpose...

No idea where to start. I'd LIKE to spend under $100. I'd actually like to spend under $50, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Dimensions are LX8500 = 14” x 12” x 3” (355mm x 300mm x 73mm)

Help?

This is the head:

15264763_800.jpg

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The LX and TX series of Hartke amps don't have any points for adding rack mount hardware. This is by design to accommodate the built-in handle.
    The LH and HA series heads are rack mountable.

If you mean a custom head case that isn't a rack, you would have to remove the handle first, then the enclosure and see if the guts slide out easily. Use the enclosure as a template to build your new case, paying special attention to the inside dimensions of the enclosure. Make sure that you provide enough ventilation.

This will probably void any warranty you have.

What kind of material are you planning to use? Is this purely for aesthetics?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    cool breeze and Joe Nerve like this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    @abarson Thanks... though I'm not looking for any kind of rack mount. I'm one of those super fortunate people to have roadies and I leave my gear with them. My last head I saw get tossed around once though (not intentionally, but kinda carelessly), and want something that's going to protect it a bit better than the padded laptop bag I kept that one in. I'm looking right now at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C6TTZ27/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A37AWEJ224JQ3T&psc=1

I like the price, but I'm not too sure about its ruggedness and fit.

41ppeAXCp3L._AC_.jpg

4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hi. If that's the genre of case you are considering, you may as well get the real thing:

Camera Cases | Pelican

HolmeBass, Dubious Aa and Joe Nerve like this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Not looking to spend like that.

6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Sorry, I was rushing. :bag: I just re-read your post and saw your price range.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Go to a thrift store and get the sturdiest briefcase you can find. Get some foam and cut it to shape. It should come in under $20.

8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Supporting Member

Harbor Freight
    4800 Weatherproof Protective Case, X-Large, Green

9. wmhill

wmhill Inactive Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    pickaxe, smogg, lazarusdoom and 4 others like this.
  10. L Anthony

L Anthony Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    Ohio
    mikewalker and Joe Nerve like this.
  11. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  13. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    These certainly meet the price point, but IMO offer considerably less protection to the contents versus the molded plastic products. These are extremely vulnerable to breaking apart at the corners if they're dropped with any weight in them. If someone else is going to be handling the case, it needs to be pretty much bulletproof, IME. SKB has a line of pseudo-Pelican cases -- I presume Gator does too.

Personally, I don't think Pelicans are particularly expensive given the amount of protection provided. I have a couple of Pelican cases that are more than 25 years old and have been to Europe countless times -- sometimes loaded with WAY too much stuff.

14. Anemic_SluG

Anemic_SluG Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Washington
    +1 on the harbor freight cases. They work really well, super sturdy. Check them out if they have one that fits.

smogg, wmhill and Joe Nerve like this.
  15. a double pistol hard case would work too...probably 20 bucks or around there..

DJ Bebop and Joe Nerve like this.
  16. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    I have one of the large Harbor Freight Apache cases and it's great. Recommends!
    20210326_091614.jpg 20210326_091645.jpg 20210326_091712.jpg 20210326_103415.jpg 20210326_103334.jpg 20210326_103347.jpg 20210326_103444.jpg

Pilgrim, smogg, RSBBass and 11 others like this.
  17. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    earth
    how about just a padded laptop case or this thing <---

RattleSnack and Joe Nerve like this.
  18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Like, a carrying case? Pm me, I'll send you the perfect one. It's a laptop bag. It'll also hold your cables, and whatever you want.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Pilgrim, Crash 56 and Joe Nerve like this.
  20. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    How about finding an old small suitcase at a thrift store?

Johnny Fingers and Joe Nerve like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021