Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help With A Kustom III Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapnuts, Aug 9, 2005.

1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I have a knob that needs replaced. I know a guy who for free will replace the knob (the middle knob on the first channel.) for free if i buy the know. That guy is my dad. He is a master of the sodering iron and has been in the electronics industry for years. You can ask him any kind of hardware question and he can answer correctly. Should I have him do it or take the head to the most trusted repair shop and spend 100 dollars on repairs. I have almost no money, but if you don't think he can help, please tell me. Thanks a ton! :help:

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Are you talking about the potentiometer or the actual knob? :confused:

3. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    The Pot.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

OK, I figured as much. So have your dad open up the amp and see how the pot's mounted, what value it is, how hard it'll be to get a direct replacement, and so on. Lots of modern amps use proprietary pots, and if that's the case you may have to go straight to Kustom or their parts agent for a replacement.

Just as an aside, when I was was in the repair business I saw many pieces of gear that were wrecked by well meaning people who were "trained in electronics" and whatnot. If the circuit board is double sided or uses surface mounted components, scary special skills and tools may be needed, for example. I'd just let your dad have a peek inside and see if he's comfortable messing with the repair.

Best of luck!

5. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Thanks a lot. He has looked inside it before when I bought it (I got it real cheap because it just needed a thourgh cleaning) and it is relitivly simple. Thanks again :bassist: