help with a new bass rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theodor, Aug 19, 2004.

1. theodor

Aug 19, 2004
    this is not just about amps, but mainly is:
    i am hoping to purchase a loud enough amp with lots of room for medium sized gigs (150-300w), but don't have the slightest clue where to start, although i know what sound i want.

my clean tone i like is really basically a bassy jazz tone, but then i tend to go to a really powerfull heavy ditorted sound along the lines of muse. with also some sub synth stuff too. (basically a very flexible amp)

i have used a bass pod to get these sounds but the effects are limited so im upgrading to boss gt6B hopefully if it proves to generate a good tone with it's preamps and modelling.

i have a stagg 5 string bass (shameful and a big loss of quiality), but am hoing to buy a fender jazz 5 string to go along with a complete change in all my gear. (maybe an active will do better too?)

price range is about £400 most for amp and £300 most for fx. second hand is an option.

mainly help on which amp to buy, but also some info on the GT6b or other good multi effects.
  2. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Roland DB-500 .. Its a combo that has 160w but sounds like it has 300 . Its loud, boomy, and can produce some good mids. Check out the user reviews, umm.. where are those reviews of this amp, .. oh, here they are

Rock on
  3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    SWR Super Red Head. Pleanty of watts, clean and distinct. Fantastic for 5'ers and more. Add a single 15 under it and you have 450 watts for even bigger gigs!! :bassist:
  4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    MUSE wise try before you knock then hartke
    youll either love them or hate them with theyre very distintive sound
    and they should suit your budget