1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with a new bassist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PsychedelicM, Oct 19, 2013.

1. PsychedelicM

PsychedelicM

Oct 19, 2013
    So I came home after a jam with a new bassist. He is an incredible funk bassist. I'm a guitarist and I need help with jamming with a bassist. Are there any hints? Maybe what keys are what frets or explain to me how I can jam with a bassist when he starts. I'm a good guitarist and I can jam just fine but when a bassist starts I have a really hard time.

2. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Open your ears. Listen to a lot of music and learn to hear the chords. Play along with anything and everything.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 Get in the mindset that he's jamming off of you.

4. Huh? Yeah, first you need to know your fretboard - maybe get some books, or take some lessons.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If you've only worked on songs in the past you'll need more music education to figure things out.

Check out Youtube videos of jams. There's also lots of guitar backing tracks available to practice with.

It also helps to determine what key the jam is going to be in before you start along with if it is major, minor, blues, etc.

Taking some lessons is a great idea.

Recording your jams is also helpful.

Good luck.

6. Without a major upskilling in music theory, just ask the bassist for the chord progression. From the sound of it he probably doesn't know the chords either but will give you the roots (bottom notes) and how many measures on each and you'll have to use your ears after that.

7. Funk is all about the rhythm, if you can play along to the blues you can play funky.