Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with a polytone

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hillbilly, Feb 13, 2002.

1. hillbilly

hillbilly

Aug 10, 2001
    i recently bought a older polytone mini brute 111
    I was wondering if anyone knows if the two inputs marked high and low are refering to gain or impedence.
    Secondly is anyone using these amps and do you have suggested setting as I'm still expiermenting with the sound.I'm just thrilled to not be lugging my 4x10 and gk head to reasturant gigs anymore.
    thanks in advance
    Bobby Daniel

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    High and Low Gain!:D

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

MOUNTAINGOAT,

I have an old Minibrute 1x12", and while I think that the low gain input is just a 10db pad, I'm not absolutely sure. If you stay patient, I'm sure that (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur will show up at some point and shed some light on the issue. Bob knows all.

As far as settings, that's going to depend on your bass, your pickup, and the kind of sound you're hearing. Minibrutes have the ubiquitous Polytone "tone switch" (Brite, Flat, Dark) and bass/treble pots. With any amp, I'd start with everything set flat and then tweak from there. When I use mine, I end up leaving the tone pots set at 12 O'clock and flipping the switch to "Dark", but that's just what works for my bass.

Those are great little amps. Mine has to be getting on for 30 years (still has black velvet covering), and has been a real workhorse ever since I've had it. It was my main jazz amp for years, and now it's #3, and my main amp in my teaching studio. I expect it'll outlive me.

YOUR OTHER BROTHER DURRL

4. I have a Mini Brute I and I use it quite often. Basicallly it's as the III but with the 12" cone. For me it's just perfect, when I go for the weekly pub-gig. Hi gain = passive basses Lo gain = active basses. But this is definitely NOT written in the stone, since you might have an active bass with low output etc. Try and select as you like (ok, you play double bass!!! So check with the pickup setup you have the most compatible input of the two: your ears will be the judge).

Amp set-up? For me normally it is basses at almost max, highs slightly less than the bass and the mid according to the environment. The smart switch is always in the standard center position (never used the dark or bright options). But, again, I play the electric.

5. I've played some old mini brutes and they've all been really good amps, nice basic sound with the tone pots set at 12 O'clock.