Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with a power question please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Jun 14, 2005.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    ok i searched for this because i know its probably been covered, but i didnt really know what to call it, so i couldnt find anything. anyway, this is probably a stupid qeuestion but oh well. can you have more power in an amp than you cab is supposed to handel. ie: ampeg svt 410 hlf (500 watts handeling) with a ashdown MAG 600R (575 watts). both at 4 ohms. and is that even a good combo? im looking to buy a new head to go with that cab, and i hear many good things about ashdown but theres nowhere withing reasonable traveling distance of my house to go play one and im only 15 so its not like i could drive somewhere far. any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Yes, there's normally no problem with that. Remember, for most (decent) cabinets, the power rating is the maximum sustained power the cabinet can handle--usually they can handle brief peaks of twice that much or more. It's much easier on the cab to have a powerful amp that can put out more clean (non-distorted) power, than to have one with less power that you have to keep pegged all the time to get the volume you need, since that usually adds a lot of distortion.

Mike

3. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright thanks, i can of thought thats that case because there are an awful lot of amps and power amps rated much higher than ive seen most cabs. but im not the smartest person around so i wanted to be on the safe side. thanks alot though

4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Out of curiosity, what other cabs are avalible to you? The Ampeg may not be the best choice, but it would certianly work and sound decent.

6. I have that same cab and am pushing 850 watts out of a QSC power amp and the cab is asking for more. That is a high efficiency cab and needs quite a bit of juice. I plan on upgrading to the RMX1450 or PLX1602 eventually. More headroom means less chance of sending a clipping signal through my cab which is a very bad thing for your speakers.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    When I played through one at a gig, I found it to take all the watts you could dish it, but I would not call it high efficency. It can get loud, but its gotta have a lotta watts. It's rating in my opinion is very conservative.