1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with a String Addiction!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MostlyBass, Aug 27, 2012.

1. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I've been on a total string buying kick. It's so much fun to try to strings I'm getting addicted to ordering them... (From BassStringsOnline, of course)

Strings for my upright are around $250 a set so these $25 - 30 purchases from BSO is just too enticing...

HELP!!!

By the way, so far my favorites are DR Hi-Beams and RotoSound 66... After 25 years of playing I finally got a set of RotoSounds and put them on yesterday. They seem to be a great 'base-line string' - they have less 'personality' (or mid scoop) than the Hi-Beams. Just a good even sounding string...Not as good for slap as the Hi-Beams. But the feel 'fast' and artificial harmonics speak really well.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Tell me about it, Jason's site is addicting. The singles and custom sets are just outstanding. I'm going to be ordering a bunch of different .105 single strings just so I can hear the difference in them :) For example, I want to try a DR Black Beauty and a Ken Smith Burner among others. Buying singles is a great way to try strings. I always have trouble finding an E string with the grind that I want, and I figure if the E string sounds right the rest of the set will fall right into line!

3. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Right! I just ordered a custom gauge set of RotoSounds for my 5 string.

4. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Be thankful you don't have bass (purchasing) addiction. ;)

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I was just about to comment that I'm addicted to buying strings, too, and they keep showing up with basses attached to them!!

6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    But the real problem is that Ɖ@ѪПΞƉ price tag attached to them...

7. JWP

JWP

Aug 19, 2012
    Just bought a new set of dd chromes and trying ever so hard not to replace them with tapes....so with that...your fabe tapewound strings? Please know your reply will serve to feed my addiction...

8. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I'm just glad I'm not the only one! I have finally got the instruments, amp, and pedal setups I want so I figure ordering strings is a cheap alternative..

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    To add to your addiction...
    I've tried Roto tapes and LaBella tapes and much prefer the LaBella's. The Rotosound tapes were too stiff and just didn't have the same thump the La Bella tapes have. All my Jazz basses are strung with La Bella tapes, it gives that left hand smoothness and quietness on slides and fretting like a flatwound but still retains much of the round wound sound. I'd put them somewhere between nickel rounds and chrome flats in tone.

As for DR Black Beauties, that's been my go to string for my Stingrays since it really tames down the brightness inherent in the Ray without losing any of the massive thump they are capable of.

I just tried for the first time a set of Elixir nano's on a Spector Euro 4LX and absolutely love them (might end up replacing my DR BB string addiction). They just killed the Cobalts I had on the Spector.

Didn't like the Cobalts at all, nice string I guess but not my cup of tea. They were much too rough, not a quiet string from a left hand standpoint. The "D" string windings kept getting caught in the Spector brass nut when I would make minor tuning adjustments causing a loud "twang" once the winding got past the edge of the nut. Didn't like them on my Telecaster Modern Player either.

My next purchase will probably be for a set of La Bella flatwounds for a Mustang bass I have. I tried them on a Sterling and loved the feel and responsiveness.

To the OP - you're spot on, string testing can be addictive. Strings can make a ton of difference in the sound, feel and playability of a bass. I was really disappointed in my new Spector purchase a couple of weeks ago from a sound standpoint, so I slapped on the Cobalts and was even less impressed. I figured I needed to sink another $350 in the bass to get the upgraded preamp. Wrong. The Elixir nano's solved the problem, saved my hundreds and now that Spector is one of my favorate basses to play.

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    My string quest started simple and innocently enough ... then I realized that the flats really didn't settle in until they had spent some time on the bass, and by then I had forgotten the little nuances of the set I just replaced .. so I decided to get a couple decent, inexpensive basses to use as test beds for strings, and be able to keep them mounted and test side by side ... well a couple turned to 4 and then of course I slid the favs onto the better basses, as I replaced the 'test' basses with others, and before long a fairly innocent and inexpensive string quest had me into several hundreds of dollars in basses ...

.. thankfully I have settled on strings (for now), and I am starting to thin the basses out a bit, but it is contagious, and easy to get out of control ... but I did find some REALLY nice inexpensive basses .. but I had to weed through several mediocre ones to find them, but I got a good education in the process ... and now I have some really good inexpensive stuff to try and decide what sells and what stays ... a whole different dilemna ...

11. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Count me in on this as well. Since getting my pbass in December it has worn chromes, sunbeams, ghs precision flats, pressurewounds, lo-riders, TI super alloys, TI jazz flats, fender flats, fender rounds and bass boomers. Now I'm "SASsing" to try tape wounds.

So far I like sunbeams for rounds and GHS precision flats for flats on the p. The TI flats have a permanent home on my jazz bass.

12. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I've found that trading gently used string sets in the classifieds has been a cheap way to try strings, especially flats. I hadn't thought about buying single strings...that could be trouble :)

13. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Wait until you start thinking about experimenting with even tension sets. :)