1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with a tone goal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Helix85, May 14, 2011.

1. Helix85

Helix85

Apr 28, 2008
    Hey everyone

I was on here not too long ago looking for advice on a new rig for my rock/pop/funk covers band. Eventually went with an Aguilar DB751 and NV610, and am really pleased with it so far, after a month or so of gigging. Very powerful rig, and so even across its range.

On to my question - another TBer recently posted this YouTube clip of a live Erykah Badu performance:
    YouTube - Erykah Badu Annie(Dont Wear No Panties)

Regarding the bass tone - all I can say is wow! :D I don't know how others would describe it but to my ears it's deep and smooth with a nice sizzle in the top end. He seems to be using an Aguilar DB750 and playing a Marcus Miller jazz, but I can't tell what cab he's using (possibly a GS410 / GS212?)

I play a Sadowsky Metro 4 ash/maple, and given that my amp, and the preamps of the Marcus Miller and Sadowsky should be pretty similar - what cab would be best suited to get this tone?

I can't really get the same sizzle and 'polish' with the NV610 (not surprising really since it doesn't have a tweeter). I'm thinking possibly a Bergantino AE cab, maybe an HS if they're still available, or even an Aguilar GS cab... What would you recommend?

(Granted this tone isn't really suited for a rock gig, but I'm not looking for a cab to do everything... for rock I've got the NV cab)

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    If the fingers are doing their job, get a good ported cab with horn, HS410 or similar.

As you probably know, SS strings fairly new and medium-low action. Then just play with the EQ for a while.

If your bass has the split-coils swap them for the single-coils...

3. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Very cool groove going there. Too me it is a nice dose of bridge pup (I think I see a bridge pup) with the tone rolled off a tad and some good technique. Round wound strings played close to the bridge. I may use that groove on my gig today for a brief funky jam.

4. Helix85

Helix85

Apr 28, 2008
    Thanks for the replies so far. It sounds like mainly bridge pickup I agree.

About the cab though - would a Berg HS410 be able to nail the above tone, better than say the AE410, or an Aguilar GS410?

Im based in the UK, and Bergantino stuff is pretty hard to get hold of and even harder to audition in person (only 1 dealer and virtually none used). I have to go largely by the scarce YouTube videos and other TBers opinions.

I can find an AE410, HS410 (though they aren't cheap (at roughly £1100) compared to an Aguilar GS410 at £759. Price isn't really an issue, though do people reckon the Berg is that much better than the Aguilar to be worth it...?

Thanks

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    The HS410 is easily the best 4x10 I've ever tried, and I did try the AE410, which is also great.

Have no experience with Aguilar's...

6. Ogge

Ogge

Oct 17, 2009
  7. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    I have tried all the berg combos and aggi cabs. Also mix and matching with a db750 with upgraded tubes, lmiii, blueline svt, vintage v4b.

My favorite combo to date is the db750 with the berg hs410. Just such a great tone and weighty feel
    To the notes. Amazingly loud as well. Slightly louder than the nv610 IMO. And better tone and feel than the ae410 IMO. The tweeter makes it very flexible from old school to modern for me.

I don't have amp and cab gas after a five year journey. Finally. However, still more basses out there I'm interested in!!