Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with a tool song

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jul 12, 2004.

1. hello, i am not sure if this is where i should post this, so mods, feel free to move this accordingly!

anyways, I have been listening to this song on Lateralus called "reflection" and about 1:35 into the song there is an instrumant solo, but i don't know know what instrument that is! i also remember hearing it when i watched the movie "passion of the Christ" it kind of sounds like a violin, but i am not sure. Does anybody know what instrument that is?

Charlie

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Guitarist might be using an ebow or something. I'll have to listen to the track again, cause I don't remember it; but you can definitely get violin-like sounds from a guitar.

3. well, i don't think it's an ebow, i mean, i have heard ebow, and i am pretty sure that its no ebow...maybe i can put up a clip or something.

Charlie

4. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    sounds like a wind instrument.

Check the liner notes, maybe a guest musician will be listed if it's not one of the band members playing it?

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    When i was Tool live a while back Maynard was playing something strange. It was hard to see because he's always hiding in the back. Looked like some kind of strange horn-like instrument. Mabey it's was that.

6. It's not an ebow instrument. The overtones of the instrument that is played there sound more rough than an ebow.

7. They've been known to experiment with the Theremin. Bob Moog makes an Etherwave Theremin that's pretty cool. I saw Fishbone use one live, and it's a great instrument for singers that want to do something other than sing.

8. I always thought it was a violin.

Adam used to play violin, and I assumed it was him playing it.

9. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Wooten's brother played a theremin when I saw them, and I'm pretty sure it's not one. At least, that's no sound I've ever heard come out of one.

10. I actually don't remember the part we're talking about, but with eBow's, violins, etc. being discussed, sometimes the unknown is a theremin.

11. it's an indian sounding instruments. At least it sounds very eastern.

12. Can someone post a clip? I love challenges, but my Lateralus is at my house.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So are all thermins expensive. I love them.

14. here is a link to the sound clip i just made, i hope this won't be a copyright problem, its not the whole song, just the part with the instrument.

http://www.geocities.com/pilotcp/reflection.mp3

Charlie

15. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    It does sound eastern. Though that indian percussion may be messing with my head.

16. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    It sounds like a violin or similar to me.

*clicky*

Kenny

17. Hmmm, not a violin. There's that sitar-vibe...like a bowed sitar. I think it's either an Esraj or perhaps just a bowed sitar. You can clearly hear the organic harmonics that a violin just doesn't have.

oh, and definitely NOT a theremin. I need to listen to that album again.

18. so where can i find any esraj sound clips?
    i may have to get one!

Charlie

19. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Eric Anest (Statik) of Collide is credited with machine sounds on that song.

More likely, though, it's the Epilady Adam uses from time to time. It's an old device that women used to use to yank hair out of their legs. It's got a wire sort of like a weedwacker that spins in a figure 8. I've read some things where he says he uses the wire on his guitar strings, and it makes a bow-like sound.