1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with a Warwick Corvette STD 2008, please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tb4sbp, Jan 22, 2018.

1. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Greetings,
    I am looking for help with a Warwick Corvette STD 2008 passive 5 string
    Just a couple of weeks ago a strange hum noise like a single coil hum started happening. Now it is so bad that it will cause feed back when any amp is at higher volumes, band playing volumes.

The hum goes away when then tone is rolled off all the way. Looked at the electronics and nothing appears visually out of place. Physically all the connections are fine.
    The hum noise is there for all three neck, both or bridge pick up selections (single coil Jazz type).

I was thinking a grounding issue but that usually goes away if you touch the strings or the wires inside the cavity but the noise is still there. Rolling off the tone you can hear the noise lessen the more bass it gets and less treble. Both pickups are just as responsive and loud as ever. No noticeable difference with either pickup.

I do not think this is any interference unless the pickups have failed for some reason.
    Anyone got an idea or have experienced this before?

I had posted this in Pickup section before and moved it here

Any thoughts would be very helpful, thanks

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    When you roll off the tone, the only thing that changes is the relative amount of current going through the cap versus the tone pot. One of those two is having problems, I suspect your cap either took a dump or isn't soldered well.

3. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Ah, the capacitor
    maybe the cold weather we have been having has caused a failure in the cap area
    there is a very small 'pill' shaped cap on the tone pot
    Thanks I did not think of that :)

4. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Did that solve it? Did you have to replace the cap? I have the same bass, a year newer, same noise...

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    @tb4sbp just curious.

Bass Man Dan likes this.