Help with ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Antonia, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Antonia

Jun 15, 2005
    I am currently in the process of buying a semi-acoustic bass, and I would need some advice on choosing a good one.
    I have researched the internet, and found some ABGs I really liked - however, after checking out the local music stores (I live in the Balkans), I am a bit dissapointed at the current offer.
    Anyway, this is the offer, and I would need some help in selecting the best one:
    - Hohner HAB-50 (about 640$),
    - Stagg acoustic/electric (about 400$) and jumbo stagg a/e (about 560$)
    - ARIA FEB SPL (about 820$)
    - Fender BG32 and (about 690$) and BG29 (about 770$).
    Some other (like Ibanez or Yamaha) can be ordered (and waited for!)...
    I think I've already eliminated Stagg and Fender (because I already play a Fender Jazz and own some other Fender equipment, and I would like to try something else).

I have searched the forum, but haven't found anybody mentioning/recommending the above ABGs...
    I would REALLY appreciate your help.
    Oh, yes, and the reason I am getting an ABG is for practice, travel, and some jamming with an acoustic guitarist.
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Why did you disregard the Stagg basses? I know they're not such a famous brand but did you try them? If 'jumbo' means a bigger body, that might translate into more volume, an important consideration when jamming with all but the most considerate guitarists!

I would play them all and probably look at volume and intonation (hard to fix with a non-adjustable bridge) as the two most important areas in evaluating them.

3. This thread discussed the BG29 recently... And I second Wulf's comments about intonation and string-to-string volume. Poor balance in the sound plugged in means that some work will need to be done on the bridge / piezo pickup. Definitely worth playing any ABG before you buy it. What are you wanting to do with it? Practice bass? Playing "unplugged" with guitarists? Even at fairly low volumes it sometimes pays to plug in an ABG. Remember that bigger body = bigger / louder sound unplugged = bigger problems with feedback if you do plug it in and turn up the volume. It's a balance between what your main use of the bass is.

For the record I play an Ovation ABG 5-string with TI Acousticore strings, strung EADGC. I've found that it has a really particular sound which just can't be captured by my other basses.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I was thinking more of unplugged playing - as Mike probably remembers, my Tanglewood Odyssey ABG has got dodgy electronics that mean the strings are unbalanced when plugged in... not a problem for me as I use it for practise and performance when I don't want to bother with amps and wires.