Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Aguilar DB680 problem??? Any Ideas???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cory, May 10, 2005.

1. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    Hello,
    I am the proud owner of an Aguilar DB680/728 rig. I absolutely love it. I've owned just about ever Aguilar product out there and LOVE them all. However, this combination is my favorite.
    Today my 680 just went out......no ideas why. No sound, no lights, no signal, nothing. So, I thought maybe someone out there could help. I intend on calling Aguilar amplification tomorrow.....because they are currently closed. I figured I'd try this for starters.

My rig is in a Genuine Anvil 3/8 shock rack that has two inches of foam around the amp. It's built like an army tank. The unit has NEVER been dropped or mishandled.

I was playing it at a show gig this last weekend and it worked great. I've gigged with this the last 9 nights in a row with no problems. I decided to play through it today on my one day off (ha ha)....because my fretless came in and I wanted to enjoy the new bass a little you know?!
    The 680 and the 728 both are plugged into the same powersource. The 728 came on fine. The 680's power light flashed once and went out when I turned the power switch on. And that's it......the unit is dead. No lights on the footswitch, no signal out to my rack tuner, no smoke, no burning smell , no nothing.

So, I decided to check the fuse in the 680.... it's fine. I checked the power cable to the 680.....it's fine (I tested it with the 728 and it worked great). I took the top of the 680 off and plugged it in and no tubes are lighting up. Apparently there is NO power. I even plugged the 680 straight into two different walls and still nothing.

Can a tube going out in the 680 cause the entire unit to go dead??? I have never had a tube go dead before.... Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing this problem??? I have three HUGE gigs at the end of the week and into the weekend and I need this working. Any help would be appreciated. Thannks,
    Cory

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have the same rig, and have had a similar problem, but when I plugged it back up everything was OK. I've had this happen a few times and have never been able to nail the cause. Definitely call aguilar, they can make some arrangements to get it up and running

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Maybe you blew a fuse?

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    He said he checked the fuse.

5. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    Check to see if there are any internal fuses. My DB359 has a one or two.

6. Call Dave Booneshaft. My DB 359 had a hidden, second use in it. Dave talked me through taking it apart and finding the problem right away.

They are great folks at Aguilar HQ.

Aloha,

Jonathan