1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with American Deluxe Precision 4er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warpeg, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I need some expert advice on some stuff:

Throughout the past four years, I have had three AD P-Basses. Each of them have been noisey--especially when I touch either of the pickup's pole pieces. By using a dremel and combining two sealed-top jazz pickup covers with modeling glue, I managed to create a new closed pickup cover for the "double Jazz" bridge pickup that allowed no contact with the pole pieces. Sealed P-bass covers are already available. The closing-off of the pole pieces helped a bit, but the electronics are still kinda' noisey. Any suggestions?

The pickups in this bass are passive but with an active preamp. Does anyone know of how to put an active/passive switch in this thing? My soldering skills are fine--I just need to know where to place it in the chain.

One last thing, does anyone else have an American Dlx P that came from the factory with a Jazz-sized neck on it? I have an older one that measures 1.5" at the nut. Is this common for the older ones?