1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with Ampeg 410HE attenuator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by telebasser, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Just got it yesterday and hooking up to a Trace Elliott 7215. As far as the variable level attenuator goes, does this act as a "volume" for the cabinet? If so, how far clockwise is "safe" so as not to damage the unit? I know a resistive bulb is wired in series with the horn for protection to prevent overpowering the horn, but I just want to make sure I get the full benefits from the great cabinet.

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It is a "volume" for the HORN, does not affect the rest of the cabinet......

So you turn it up enough to get the horn performance you want.... balanced against the basic cabinet volume.

How far is "safe" is really not an issue, since there is a horn protector. But it will depend on the power you drive it with, and settings on the amp for high end response.

3. Sounds good to me! Thanks for the reply, and the fact that you work for Ampeg makes you one of my new hereo's...next to the Quality Control Engineer at Heineken.

4. velvetphil

velvetphil Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The attenuator is a passive level control, right? In other words, when it's up at "full", that means the cab is "flat" i.e. normal HF response. It doesn't make the tweeter louder, really - think of it more as an on/off switch, or better yet, a dimmer as you would have in room lighting.

Is this right Jerrold?

Also, I've been told that, for reasons I can't remember, it's better to dial out HF on your amp and just leave the tweeter at full at all times. Something about less work for the tweeter circuit ... ?

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    yeah, but UP would probably be past flat...... there should be some extra range for folks who may want that for some reason. Maybe their style does not have sharp attacks etc, and they need a bit more.

It isn't like a tone control, though, it is taking the tweeter band and raising or lowering it.

Dunno about the tone control deal, I think I'd rather use the tones than the tweeter control, but...... maybe it works for what you want just perfectly.