Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Ampeg B-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by finn74, Mar 7, 2003.

1. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm looking for some information on an Ampeg combo unit from fellow TB'ers This is an older 1-12, with horn 150 watt combo. The amp is marked Ampeg B-1. I've looked at the ampeg web site and there is no mention of this unit. I've also looked through some review databases and found nothing. I'm looking for replies from any one that has any info on this unit.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I used to own the head-only version of this, the B-1R. I also did not have a manual and I called Ampeg. They sent out a manual to me at no charge. I recommend that you give them a call.

Also, if you have any questions about the amp in it. I'd be happy to answer your questions. BTW, I think that sucker is a killer amp for the price. You might want to retube it with some made in the USA tubes though.

3. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    Thanks for you infor Xyllion. But I think this unit is solid state. It apperas to be about 1 rack space and sits secured in the cabinet. I'm sure that the entire unit is Ampeg as there is a panel with Ampeg markings for adjusting the horn on the back of the cab. The entire unit is about 18" x 18" cube.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Solid state power amp, but it has 2 12AX7 tubes in the preamp. I'm very familiar with the inside of that 1U box. I replaced the tubes and the fan in mine.