Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hobbit2020, Aug 5, 2004.

1. hobbit2020

hobbit2020

Aug 5, 2004
    I have been playing bass for about a year and I want to get a decent amp. I don't really know anything about amps so any pointers would be helpful. My pricerange is around $1000 so specific amp suggestions would be good too.

2. The Traynor YBA200 All-tube 200W stack can be had for around that price. It has the head plus a cab with 2x10 and 1x15 speakers in it, and it sounds awesome! Its what I'm getting in October!

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    We can probably do a better job of helping you spend your money :D if we knew the answer to questions like these...

1. Where are you located US, Canada, Europe, etc.?

2. 4 string, 5 string or more (or less)?

3. Standard tuning or dropped tuning?

4. Type of music that you play.

5. What kind of bass you play.

6. What kind of sound you like...Hi-Fi, old school, all, etc.

7. Any physical limitations...can you lift more than 50 lbs, etc.? (I have a bad back and am not supposed to go beyond 50 lbs. myself).

8. Any preferences...tubes, solid-state, 10s, 12s, 15s, 18s, combo, head/cabinet(s) or preamp/poweramp/cabinet(s) etc.?

9. Can your vehicle haul big stuff, or just small stuff, etc.?

10. What have you tried so far, what did you like, what didn't you like and why?

That's all I can think of now...

If you give us some help, we're really, really good at helping you spend!!!!

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    +1

Answer all of those things.... age, type of music, style.... all those things are really necessary when suggesting a piece of equipment.

do that, and you'll have people popping up with all kinds of suggestions.

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Edit: New Thread for me so I don't hijack this one.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hmmm...who knows... You started the thread at midnight on Sunday and a new crop of threads, etc. was started, responded to on Monday..

Do you still need help?

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Buy used. You'll greatly increase your buying power.

8. i second that

9. AMPEG SVTCL 300w all tube head, nothing comes close, heavy as hell but thats rock and roll for you !!

10. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    +1