1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with an Eden amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Abrahampost, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    Hoping someone can help with this one. I recently picked up an old world tour 800B and love the tone. The issue is after the amp gets warmed up the the A power amp side starts to get scratchy and eventually loses most the signal. I have switched around cabs and it is definitely something in that side of the amp. I love the tone and am considering repairing it but concerned it maybe a serious problem. If it is too much money I have 30 days to return the amp.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
  3. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NY
    +1. The members of that forum are extremely helpful and very knowledgeable. They've helped me out on a number of occasions.

4. samtastic

samtastic

Jan 24, 2011
    Have you tried replacing the preamp tube?

5. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    +1 That sounds like the issue

6. metermech

metermech SMOOVE ONE

Mar 17, 2008
    Sounds like that amp on that side is going to go out. i had a wt800A that did the same thing. It comes as an assembly and the two screws in the top hold it in. It's not a hard thing to replace if you can still order the amp from Eden. Granted it was about 10 years ago and it's still going today. Hopefully the basic structure hasn't changed even though the company has .

7. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    Thanks for all the quick responses. I haven't even pulled the cover off yet... if it was the preamp tube wouldn't I see the problem in both sides of the amplifier not just one? Being easy enough to test I will switch out the tube and let it warm up and see what happens.

8. Your right. It's not the tube or you'd hear it in both channels. Sounds like a heat related power amp problem. Some resisters can be effected by heat and if placed in the bias portion of the circuit it could cause something like what you've described. I believe it's more likely one of the main power amp chips, thats connected to the heat sink is beginning to fail. You'll likely need a tech to fix it or an entire board swap. If you can return the amp, ask if they'll pick up the repair cost instead.