Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with an idea

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by el_fr0, Nov 6, 2005.

1. el_fr0

el_fr0

Oct 25, 2005
    I have a Peavey Axcelerator 6 string bass that the batteries just recently died on. The thing of it is that I fell in love with the dying battery slightly overdriven tone that it produced before the batteries went completely out. It has an 18v preamp in it, and I was wondering if there was any sorta way that I could get that dying battery tone without just running the batteries down for a while and then having about 2 hours of playing time left.

2. depends on what's causing the sound you're hearing. It could be just the low voltage, but it also could be a lack of current supplied from the battery due to it's increasing internal resistance. The later is going to be hard to duplicate.

However, the former might be easy. Buy yourself some cheap, rechargeable 9V batterys. Such batterys are not 9V at all, they are 8.4V, so two of those will only give you 16.8V instead of the usual close to 18V.

You might be able to reproduce the current starving by inserting resistors in series, but getting it right won't be trivial and it requires that you keep tabs on the power dissipation of the resistors. Other more complex solutions are possible, but they are more the domain of electronics engineers.

3. You could externally power the bass with a variable power supply. It sounds kinda cheezy but a gtr player tone freak I sometimes play with has several variable power supplies he uses with different dist/od pedals to get the desired 'drag tone' out of the boxes. Kinda complicated but it really does make a difference.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

What goes down when a battery dies ? Voltage or current ?
    Couldn't a knob adjust that ?

5. Both... and yes... BUT:

Just wasting power across a resistor or a pot isn't the best solution as you'll be forever changing batterys, and when your battery does start becoming flat, it'll sound twice as flat because of the circuit you're retrofitted. As the battery dies, the voltage and current will die along with it.

A solution would be either a fixed voltage regulator set to the appropriate voltage, or a fixed current source set to the appropriate current. This way, as the battery dies, the voltage (and or current) provided by it stays constant until such time as the battery can no longer provide the required power.

Or, the wired power supply idea would also work. However, it's important first to understand what the cause is before you try to replicate it!