Help with an sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by retrohwam, Dec 16, 2004.

1. retrohwam

retrohwam Guest

Apr 20, 2004
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Our gui**r player/songwriter has written a song with what I would refer to as a “haunting” melody.
    Any suggestions on effects? Thinking of something like an “e-bow” effect - but I understand that device is very difficult to master on the bass. I'll be playing somthing slow and errie.
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    ebows arent that hard to use on bass. You just have to be careful, and to get the string moving, you have to hold it closer to the string than you do on guitar, but it can work.

I wonder how easy it would be to mod an ebow for higher output so that it would work better on bass....*wishes for 90$ and a soldering gun*
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Here's my two cents; try a phaser/flanger on a slow wide spaced setting with either overdrive or fuzz. A song that I am working on has a two-handed tapping riff with said effects and it sounds pretty cool/mysterious/eerie.

Also e-bow takes a little work, but single-string melodies are cake once you get the string moving.

What is your band name, I might have to check you guys out if you get in the Jackson area.

4. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Crank up some Hall reverb and some deep voice chorus :bassist:
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Chorus and an Analog-sounding delay (where the highs roll off) are both good places to start. When I want to go eerie/spacey I also sometimes use my Dunlop 105Q. I suppose any of these could be used in conjunction with an ebow.
  6. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    You could try some volume swelling. Or even pitch vibrato effects (I use a cheap Ibanez CF7 to do that)
  7. retrohwam

retrohwam Guest

Apr 20, 2004
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Thanks for all the suggestions - looks like I've got a lot of experimenting to do. (That's fun stuff for me)

"Along for the Ride"
    We're a "new" band of "mature" members. Our venue is Christian Rock. We came together about 8 months ago and have been self-producing a 12-song cd of original music.
    This "haunting" melody is the last song and was just added to replace a finished song that we decided to hold. Probably won't be playing any time in the near future as Wednesday our drummer took a fall off a roof he was working on and broke his leg - wish we would have had the drum tracks down on this one. :crying: