Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with backline buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbully43, Jul 18, 2005.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    need help guys. I'm a amp noob and bought but have not picked up a used backline 250 head=125w with a 410 bxl bottom used one owner who bought it 3month ago at GC and brought it back ( he needed rent $$) it like new $379.00. I thought it was 200w but nooo its 125w i want to start playing out this fall and think it is maybe not enough watts now. I liked the backline 210 200w and can be 300 with another cab. Should i talk to GC and move up to the 210 or stick to what i have? Its in layaway and i wont pick it up for a couple of weeks the 250 combo plus i have 30 day return.Will i see enough diffrence in 75 more watts and 2-10s to 125 watts and 4-10's to make it worth it. Alot of guys around here say everything is miced or DI at all places they play so 125 is good enough...so confused help.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Your grammer is so poor I'm not sure what you are asking. You seem to me to be asking if you should move "up" from a 410 to a 210 because it has a higher power rating???? If that's the case, then you are NOT moving "up" if playing live with more volume and coverage is your goal. The wattage rating of a cabinet is what it can handle from an amp, not what you get out of it.

If this is NOT what you are asking, then I don't understand your question. Sorry.

3. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Sorry, this is the way we e-mail at work i will stop and do it right. :p I bought the backline 250 head and 4-10bxl bottom used at GC. The head is 125W I had thought it was 200w. Should i go to the Gk backline 210 combo for a little more $$? It has 200 watts and will go to 300watts if i add a cab latter. I fear 125watts are not enough to get thru in a band (no metal) if its mic-ed or DI to the board would the 250 be enough? The GK 210 has 2-10" speakers at 200watts...the 250 head has a 4-10" bottom at 125 watts is there enough diffrence to change?

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The 4x10 will be louder. You can do a search if you want to know why and all the physics involved.

The Backline 210 combo though you can add an extension cab, which you may find you need. That will give you more volume than the other combination, but will also cost more money.

If you want to gig with it, good luck. Bigger and outdoor gigs with no PA support (and possibly even smaller gigs without PA support) you will severely struggle. Try to save up some more money, more options are just around the corner.

5. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks i didnt see you responded to this post too. Im just confused and really need to make a swithch to the 210 if GC will work with me. I understand that the 410 is louder but wouldnt a 210 pushed with 75more watts beat a 410 at 125watts?

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    No, I stated that in my previous post. You obviously didn't search.

I'll tell you: doubling power gives a 3dB increase, the smallest increment the human ear can comprehend. Doubling speaker area also gives a 3dB increase.

So 2x10 -> 4x10 = 3dB increase
    125 watts -> 200 watts = ~2dB increase

Simple phyisics says that the 4x10 would be equal to the 2x10 if it were given exactly half the watts of the 2x10. However, the 4x10 is given more than half the watts, making it louder.

7. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I love my GK Combo 210!! got enuff volume to gig with as is
    for most clubs /bars, outdoor shows are ruff for most amps

I would trade in you head and keep the 410 you have and buy the Combo 210 ....and you will be using all 300w :hyper: