Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with bad case of mildew

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soulgroovn, Sep 1, 2003.

1. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    So after a bad band breakup in the spring I had decided to take a short break. The good news is that I'm fully recharged and I'm ready to hit the scene again. The bad news is that my Eden 2x10XLT has grown a beard in storage - literally. I went down to my basement the other day to dust things off and I find a thick layer of mold all over the cab. Front, back, and everything but the cones are covered. It seems like the rest of my equipment is ok but I have some questions for everyone.

First, the cones are visibly unharmed but does that mean that they are functional and am I putting them in any danger by plugging them in and playing? Will a moist room permanently affect the cones performance of this cab and the other cabs stored down there? (in other words, am I screwed?)

If they are alright, what's the best way to clean the cab and make sure that it never happens again?

I have no other option than to store my stuff in my basement and I'm currently looking for a dehumidifier (sp?). If it was that damp over the summer what other things should I look for in my amp, efx, wireless, etc? At no time did water seep into the room or anything get wet. It's all on milk crates just in case.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

EDIT: Pics of the cab have been posted below.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Very interesting. Where's the pics?

I don't think you're screwed. You may have shortened the life of the cones but they should still be OK for years to come. If I were you, I'd put the cab somewhere else to let any built up moisture to dry up slowly and naturally.

As for cleaning the mildew, I have no idea! Anyone?

3. I'd like to see a picture of Swamp-Cab :)

4. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Once you get it all figured out, i suggest investing in a de-humidifier for your storage area

5. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Two options.
    First and easiest to find CLorox Bleach. Nothing takes care of mold like good ole clorox. However this may end up bleaching any cloth materials not to mention the lovely smell.

Second, try contacting your local janitorial supply company (look in yellow pages). Ask them if they have any "biocide" or other magic mildew killing juice. Ask them all of the pertinent details, will it harm my cat, is it safe to drink, etc. They should have a prodct that is fairly safe and aroma free. Being in construction we sometimes run into mold and mildew from an untight roof in a new building and we typically use a biocide product in addition to throwing out any damaged sheetrock ect. Air quality is a big deal nowadays. Sorry for the rambling hope that helps.

6. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    Thanks for the reply's everyone. I'm currently looking for a basement dehumidifier and the appropriate chemicals to clean the cab. Tonight I'll get the digital camera out, take a pic, and post it sometime this evening. I'm sure it'll become a talkbass classic but before I do please know that I don't abuse my stuff! :bag: I normally take excellent care of my gear.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    If being in the basement caused all this---

It means you have a mold/mildew problem inside your home. Very expensive to get rid of.

EPA Indoor Mold Info

8. But wait on the chemical methods. First put everything outside in the sun and remove all of the hardware and speakers, let everything dry out really good for a few days. It is likely that once removed from the dank of the basement and exposed to sunshine and dry air the mildew will dry up and you can vacume it away with a shop vac. You might still need to use some cleaner to get rid if the odor but let it dry out 1st.

9. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    I actually had a 4 inch patch of mold on the cab before, which I'm sure this latest outbreak is from. In that case I did put the cab out in the sun, used Lysol on the entire unit, and scrubbed like I had never scrubbed before. I either obviously didnt do a good enough job that time or my basement was too much for my poor cab. Thanks for the advice though. I'm gonna wait for the next sunny day, completely breakdown the entire cab and do as you mentioned.

10. Ah, life on the East coast.

I lost almost an entire life time of B/W negatives to mold while living on Cape Cod.

11. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Robert Palmer on:

"Doctor, doctor gimme the news
    I got a bad case of mi-il-dew"

Robert Palmer off :D

Seriously, try some of that upholstery cleaner you use on car seats, or break it down and take it to an auto detail shop and see if they can clean it. Just a thought.

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I just got an image in my mind of a chia-pet cabinet . . . now THAT would be a conversation piece!

13. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    Well here you go. As requested I present to you the chia-cab. Needless to say I was pretty ticked when I foulnd it but recovery procedures are underway as we speak.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Your cones are fine. All the "damage" appears to be on the carpeted regions. I'm suddenly leaning towards the "leave it in the sun and vacume it off" theory.

Is that another cab sitting underneath it? Is that one OK?

15. Damn dude...thats crazy. I woulda freaked.

Good luck.