Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with bad pickups on fender PJ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ryan t, May 22, 2005.

1. Ryan t

Ryan t

May 22, 2005
    Hello,

My friend gave me his bass to work on. He has an old fender Jazz special with the P/J setup. He just noticed that the front pickups didnt work. So I took it home and opend up the panel behind the volume and tone pots. I used my DMM to check continuity and its all fine. So I removed to P pickups in the front and check the wires going from the volume pot to the P pickups is also fine.

I think the P pups are bad but I want to be sure. I used the DMM to check the white wire going from the volume pot to the first P pup. It is fine but heres the porblem I found. The first pup has two white wires one from the volume pot then one going to the other p pup. The DMM doent read a connection between the two white wires on the first pup. The second P pup has the one white wire from the first P pup going to it then a black wire going to the ground plates. There is also no continuity between the two post on that pickup. So I'm thinking the coil's are broken on both pups? I just thought it was odd both P pups would be bad. So I want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. I've done work on my own basses but never any P style pups so I dont wanna be buying new pups if that is the problem.

Ryan

2. Ryan t

Ryan t

May 22, 2005
    Anybody know how to tell if the pups are bad??

Ryan

3. Ryan t

Ryan t

May 22, 2005
    Dang, I find it hard to beleive NO ONE knows how to test a bad fender P pickup but oh well. I tired. I guess I'm just gonna have to buy the new pickups and hope it isnt a waste of money. Thanks anyways though.

Ryan

4. Forget about checking for continuity to start with...you won't (shouldn't) actually find continuity between the pickup poles...what you should be able to measure is resistance between them.

Set your mulitmeter to a 10-20ohm range and measure the resistance between the single wire coming from each of the pickups. You should be reading somewhere in the vicinity of 6-11ohms I'd say depending on the pickups.

If you can't see any resistance, and there is no connection, then you either have a bad link between the pups, or the leads and coils, or a combination of the above.

Good luck.

5. Ryan t

Ryan t

May 22, 2005
    Thanks! I checked both pickups and one reads 4.8 ohms the other reads 558 ?? I'm guessing that means that one is bad? I dont have an ohm range on my multimeter just a K Ohm selector. Thats what I use to test speakers ohm's. Does it sound like a bad pickup since one has WAY more resistance? Sorry for all my noob questions I havent done any work with bad pickups before :(.

Ryan