Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with basic info

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by reelbass, Jan 3, 2005.

1. reelbass

reelbass

Jan 1, 2005
    California
    Hello,
    I am new to the forum and had a few questions about basses in general. My 12 year old son (who now plays piano) is interested in learning so he can play in a local orchestra, and also play some-old time and celtic music with his friends. I have no clue what to look for in this instrument, or even where to find one. I have read there are two different kinds of bows, and I have no clue about those either!
    What kind of price range should we be looking at? We would want it playable, but not top quality (he is only a 6th grade beginner)? Are there certain brands that have decent student level basses? Is it possible to find these used? I think he would need a 1/2 size since he is under 5 foot.

Can anyone shed some light on this unknown territory, or point us in the right direction for info?

Thanks so much!

2. My turn.....Welcome and please check under the Basses heading: Newbie Links.
    Also search the Archives: Buying A DB

Each heading has tons of info. available courtesy of our wonderful moderators. Almost ANYTHING you wanna know will be in there.
    Also....Please complete you PROFILE! Knowing where you're located helps us help you!

3. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    You might want to check with local music stores. Usually they have rental programs that would at least get you started and point you in the right direction for a private teacher. Especially since your son will be changing sizes as he grows.

Again- check the newbie links.

BG

4. Another option is to look under "string intruments" or "violin" in the phone book and go to the nearest string instruments store. They usually have a wide range of selection, good instruments, reasonable prices, and always have people who are knowledgeable and can offer expert advise. A music store offers a cheaper rent than these string shops but you get twice the bass for less than twice the price. In my humble opinion, I don't think a music store is a good place to rent from, but they aren't horrible to rent from.

5. In addition to the rental idea posted, you might want to talk to some bass teachers in your area.
    Starting out, a good bass teacher and the setup of the instrument are very important. More so than the quality of the instrument.

Good Luck,
    Dave