1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with Bass Amp and Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NolanBS, Nov 7, 2020.

1. NolanBS

NolanBS

Nov 7, 2020
    Hello all I am new to the website and am new to bass all the way around. I switched from guitar to bass to play with my brother on drums and a friend on guitar. I currently have a peavey milestone III Hartke vx115 300w and a peavy century 200 bass series amp head. When I get the volume loud enough to not get drowned by the drums the sound is so muddy sounding. I am wondering if I should upgrade my amp or cabinet.

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Maybe try cranking your mids and backing off the bass knob?

3. Welcome.

And ^ adjust your eq.
    The more your volume goes up the lower you turn the Bass knob.

Downunderwonder and telecopy like this.
  4. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    ^ Good advice. Turn the bass down.

5. Put the cab up on a chair and get guitars to do same, or tilted back, so everyone gets a good earful of their own racket. Everyone should be fine turning down a bit after that.

6. NolanBS

NolanBS

Nov 7, 2020
    Thank you I will try that! Is there an amp head you would recommend for around 300?

7. NolanBS

NolanBS

Nov 7, 2020
    Thank you I will try that!

8. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    Cabinet. 212 or 410.

Or, drop your bass knob.

9. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Used Hartke LH1000.

angelopbass and Bluesman88 like this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    +1 up the mids, little less bottom, see if that helps. Welcome to bassin'. And TB. Will be awkward firing your drummer if he's your brother. Firing a drummer is a rite of passage.

11. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Get yourself a high pass filter. Dialing out the mud will leave more power for the mids, which will cut through the mix.

Welcome to the low end!

Jake Osborn likes this.
  12. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Amps (and for some...basses) come and go. Your best investment IMO is your cab(s).

No matter what you do in your signal chain, the cab is your final stage.

A great amp and great bass won't matter much if the speakers at the end of the line aren't cutting the mustard.

That said; amp headroom can allow a good speaker to shine.

Try eq as suggested, it's good advice. If you decide to move on from current gear I recommend spending the majority of the budget (or all, honestly) on a higher end cab.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  13. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    The amp and the cab could do fine, maybe they just can't fit together for that good tone or try a serious eq changes.

14. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    +1 cut bass, bump mids; get the cab up off the floor.

Is that the Milestone with 2 Jazz style pickups? (I have one, it’s a pretty sweet bass!) try putting the pickups full-on, then back the neck pickup off a little, that will give you a little more bite.

Then if you still feel underwhelmed, get a second hartke 15 cabinet (assuming it’s an 8ohm cab)

15. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Want to echo what some others have said: LPF and nice cabs. Example: a chunk of what we think of as the "SVT sound" is from the 8x10 cab. Drivers have different sonic profiles. Cabs and drivers can make the rig.

Look for a cab/driver thats efficient (99db is my benchmark), so it puts out as much power as it can. You can check driver manufacturer websites and online reviews for how they sound and the frequency response. Aguilar SL cabs are mid scooped, Bergantino and Genzler array cabs are pretty neutral, that sort of thing.

This is a rabbit hole for sure. But heads are easier to resell if you don't like them. Cabs are a different story.

16. have you tried standing further away from the cabinet so you can hear it? Many people stand RIGHT next to it, and by the end of the night their ass is ringing, but they didn't hear it with their ears

S-Bigbottom and dcbluesbass like this.
  17. NolanBS

NolanBS

Nov 7, 2020
    Thanks man that’s hilarious ill hate to have to break him the bad news

Killing Floor and DrThumpenstein like this.
  18. NolanBS

NolanBS

Nov 7, 2020
    Thanks man worked a lot better!

DrThumpenstein, CallMeAl and FunkHead like this.
  19. NolanBS

NolanBS

Nov 7, 2020
    I’m not sure if it’s the jazz style or not and I’m actually about to buy a fender MIM P bass from a friend a played tonight and the tone was a lot better than my peavy my set up is working decent for now. I do want to get another head and maybe a second cabinet soon. Bass is an entirely different animal than guitar.

CallMeAl likes this.
  20. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Great news.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021