1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with bass amp problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guz2, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Guz2

Guz2

Apr 18, 2009
    I seem to have a problem with my bass amp...When I plug it into the amp there's a really loud buzzing sound. It gets quieter if I touch a string or bridge or adjust the tone knob but doesn't dissapear completely. It isn't the cable cos I've tried it with a different one. It isn't the bass because I've tried it with a different amp. Any help? Thanks :)

2. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Does the power cord still have the ground plug on it?

3. Guz2

Guz2

Apr 18, 2009
    Uh...It's a three pin, if that's what you mean

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Sounds like a ground problem on the input jacks. What amp is it? If you need help you should at least provide all the relevant information.

Paul

5. Guz2

Guz2

Apr 18, 2009
    It's a 40 watt EastCoast amp plugged into an EastCoast P-Bass copy (cos I'm a Steve Harris fanboy xP). EastCoast really isn't well known, so I didn't think there was much point saying what brand it is...

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    My thought still stands. If you have some skill with electronics try re-soldering the input jack connections. If not get thee to a tech! :)

Paul

P.S. You're right, I've never heard of those amps.

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    ok...this is a strech but, have you tried that amp in a different room?

Diagnosing the problem is pretty simple....it sounds like a ground. The fix is more of a challenge. I have to say though, it sounds much more like your bass than your amp.

8. Guz2

Guz2

Apr 18, 2009
    Ok, a few more details:
    It's not the cable connecting the amp to the mains, I tried another one.
    It's not the bass, I tried it through another amp.
    It's not the amp, I tired another bass through it and it worked without the buzz.
    It's not the cable connecting the amp to the bass, I tried another one.
    The plug is three pin plugged into a three-pin socket.
    It still buzzed when I tried it in another room.
    There's a smaal popping noise and the buzzing goes quieter whenever I touch the strings or the bridge.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

9. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    I feel your pain......spent three hours last night with various combos of speakers/mixers/heads/amps/basses trying to hunt down a problem I thought was fixed :spit::spit:

It may indeed be your bass. Just because it doesn't do it on another amp doesn't eliminate this possiblilty. The other amp may have a better ground.

Does it do it at another venue? If this is in your living room, drag it over to a friends house and see if it does it there. Another room in your house may not help because its the same wiring.

Now, when you're trying a different bass, is it the exact same thing as yours? If yours is active and the different bass is passive....your head may be reacting to the active signal and not to the passive. If its active, did you change the battery?

It might be something simple on your bass.....my backup bass (passive model) with the *exact* same issue just needed a new input jack.....$50 for a switchcraft installed and it looks like I have one of two basses useable :). In my case, soldering wouldn't have helped.... if you look at how an input jack is put together, there's a collar type thing where the two halves are pressed together. The collar (flange I guess) makes the ground where it touches the other half. In my case, the flange had worn to where it wasn't completely touching-unless you knew what to look for you wouldn't have seen it. The tech spotted it immediatly and thus far, no more issues :). (I hope).
    I did the same steps you did, and it didn't always do it....which drove me insane.

10. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    Could also be the ground wire under the bridge....

Maybe not touching the bridge for a proper ground.