Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with bass efx

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ckulasekere, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Hi
    I have recently been wanting to add effects to my bass playing. I just received $400 as xmas money and wanted to know how to invest this the best way in effects. I am looking primarily to use them in live settings but also have the capability to use in studio. Please advice. So far all I have heard about is the Korg Pandora and the Line 6 xt other than for individual stomp boxes. Please advice. Thanks in advance.

2. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Normally you have a target sound you'd like to achieve and THEN you put the effort (usually money) into achieving it. Do you have any ideas?

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    yup.

Also, you should tell us what equipment you have now. That would put our advice in-context. ..and if you say that your running a thirty-watt combo, some might say that the best effect for you is 'the 150W combo effect'.

Joe

4. A pedal that i like to use to tweak my sound is the Boss GEB-7 Bass Equilizer.

For distortion I like the MXR M-80, which also has a 3 band preamp on it which is also good comined with the geb-7 to tweak your sound.

hope this helps.

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1.

If you've already got the thunder (rig), then my question would be do you prefer multi effects or single pedals and what's the type of music you play?

Personally, I have a rackmount BOSS VF-1 that is AMAZING, but I'm also looking at getting an EBS BassIQ and a Sansamp Programmable DI for tones that the VF-1 can't do very well (which isn't much!)

6. as far as gear, I have an SWR Triad that is powered by a Hartke 7000. I have a digitech synth and the boss eq pedal. I also have a morley wah. I guess what I was asking is for some sort of rack mount unit that does not model amps and cabs but has cool effects that can be assigned to a foot switch. I tried out a pandora for bass and liked a lot of those sounds but i want less modeling and more effects that can be used live. Thanks again hope to hear from you guys soon

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...then let me reiterate the BOSS VF-1... an amazingly powerful effects box. They are no longer made, but are extremely coveted.

Check ebay....they run about $225 - $275 or so, and well worth the $. Do a search for VF-1 and you see all the comments.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  9. thnks. I'll check the boss.