1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with bass/harp rig (a design excersize).

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hamish MacCleod, May 1, 2015.

1. Hamish MacCleod

Hamish MacCleod Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    So,here we go:
    I play a 5 string bass currently through an Acoustic 370 head and an Acoustic 106 215 cab. I don't have a harp rig yet. I also have a Carvin DCM3000L power amp. I am looking to use one rig for both. My thoughts are to get a line mixer and use a Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe (or RM) for bass and a Tech 21 Blonde Deluxe for harp running through both sides of the DCM3000 (8 ohms, 500 watts). I am also trying to come up with a pair of full range speakers that are smaller than the 106. My thoughts are running to a pair of 4x8's with a hi freq horn or perhaps a pair of BFM's Omni 12's.
    Does anyone have any other ideas? I am not Ina hurry, just want to get this right.
    Rondo

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Might work. i see no reason it wouldn't. Honestly though, I'd rather get a little Champ or similar so you can do both at once.

Bassmec and Jim Carr like this.
  3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You mean harp like the angels play or harp like mere mortals play?

lz4005 likes this.
  4. Hamish MacCleod

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    [​IMG]
    ^this
    Rondo

bholder likes this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I bet there's some angels who can play the heck outta that thing. ;)

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I think you're on the right track going towards fullrange, monitor type speakers with the coloring for the different instruments upstream.

Can throw AudioKinesis, Acme, Barefaced, Fearful/less, in the mix of possibles there.

Also PA cabs with sturdy woofers.

7. A friend of mine plays Harmonica so I put together an amp for him. A small SS guitar amp I had knocking around and a Shure microphone. It sounded great to my ears. Last time we talked he'd found an old tape recorder with a crystal mic. and was using that to play through.

In light of that I'll second Jimmy's suggestion of a Champ or similar small amplifier.

Bassmec likes this.
  8. Hamish MacCleod

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    Will33: I have 2 Carvin 215 PA speakers but I am trying to get everything to a manageable size. :) I am looking for full range speakers that can cover the first harmonic from the open "B" and cover the higher frequencies of the harp. Also, trying to make the best of gear I already own (like the amp). I'll have to look at Dukes Thunder Children, the Greenboy options, and the BFM offerings. I am not a builder so I'll have to commission the speaker builds.
    Rondo

9. Hamish MacCleod

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    The other upside to using pedal/preamps is, if there is PA support, I am down to carrying a bass and a gig bag. That is appealing.
    Rondo

10. In my experience when a venue does have PA support it's more for vocals than instruments. Granted some places have excellent PA systems and even a sound guy. That leaves your "sound" in the hands of someone who may not know or even care about what you are trying to achieve in the total "soundscape".

11. Hamish MacCleod

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    Good advice... I'll take that to heart. Thanks.
    Rondo