1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with bass ID, for please :-)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by widerberg, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Hi, All:

I'm brand new here, so my apologies if this post doesn't follow protocol. I just won an old (possibly Japanese) bass body on eBay. It's going to be my next project. I would love any information on what it actually is. An old Teisco, perhaps?

Here are pics from the listing . . .
    [​IMG]

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Many thanks!
    Bo

2. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Looks like a Teisco, particularly the pickguard.

3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Looks exactly like a bass marketed under the Heit name -- it was my first solid body.

4. Thanks, guys.

Turock--that's what I thought at first, but then I wasn't so sure as I couldn't find the model in catalogs/old print ads online. Still going to research it, though.

Lowbrow--very interesting. I'm going to see what I can dig up under that name.

At the end of the day, I guess it doesn't matter what it is, but I am a bit curious.

Bo

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Chrome pick guard = Kingston made by Teisco 67 to 71

G

6. GM60466, I think you may have hit it. I did some more digging and found this . . .

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/66-basses.html

The beast is either a Carvin I-906, made by Teisco and distributed as a Beltone, or a Kingston (also made by Teisco, but distributed as a Kingston). The body shape and pickguard appear to be right on the money, the pickup looks the same, and the pickguard on mine is drilled for a thumb/finger-rest in the same location.

Thanks for the lead.
    Bo

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021