1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with bass line for progressive/metal song!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jbass116, Jun 7, 2012.

1. jbass116

jbass116

Aug 25, 2011
    I recently was asked to join a progressive rock/metal band, which isn't my primary style, and while I've come up with some competent bass lines for some of their songs, I'm having trouble with this one (no bass in this recording yet):
    http://soundcloud.com/adam-soucy/atypical-anesthetic

Most of the song is fine, but when the full band comes in at 1:15, should I play the same line as the guitar? Or maybe just play root notes in time with the kick drum? I know there's no right answer, but if any of you have an idea for what might sound best, help would be appreciated :)

2. I would do the intro 1-8-1-5. As far as the noodly guitar riff I personally wouldn't follow it (the section with the note rests is fine though). It would sound too... jumpy, for the lack of a better word. I would play a root-octave pattern.

P.S. Is this song in e minor? I'm fairly inexperienced with key signatures. :p