Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with bass lines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by undertow, Feb 28, 2003.

1. undertow

undertow

Nov 30, 2002
    hi

i have a whole lot of lyrics ive been writing the past couple months and i have no music to go along with them
    so i was wondering how you go about writing songs. which do you go at first vocals, bass, electric or drums
    im going for an grundgy alt rock mixed between nu metal and for that would you want alot of distortion or none. also do most of the bass lines in that kind of music follow the guitars or does it go off and do its own thing

thank you

2. you have to identify the groove and how it affects the song.

dont put these kinds of posts in this category.:cool:

3. lessons help also.:D

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    General Instruction, maybe?

5. I haven't written any SONGS...but...

...I'll write song LYRICS, and I get the rhythm for a song from there.

I mean, you know. You go along with the flow of the lyrics you are writing, and that's the flow of the song.

Build off of that.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Garrett - I know many songwriters do it the other way round, get the music first, and then put words to it. That's generally how I do it too.

7. The majority of the stuff I write comes from basslines, but most of the actual useable songs are based around a guitar riff or occasionally vocals.

I can save the basslines and hopefully be able to apply them to something one of my guitarist's write. The last thing I'll write musically is drums, which doesn't matter anyway because our drummer will just do his own thing regardless of whether or not we write his part.

I have tons of lyrics sitting around that I've never been able to put to music, and I have lots of music that I haven't been able to put words to.

8. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Pfft, just play it extra fast and sing about a girl you like and/or pop tarts. Instant pop punk success!

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dont claim to be a song writer, but what I do when Im trying to come up with something is this. I simply turn the 4 track recorder on, find a drum beat I am feeling at the time, Then turn on the keyboard, then I simply close my eyes get into the beat the best I can, and let whatever come out of me just flow out of me. Sometimes I'll play a keyboard piece that is vocal orientated 1st then record a bass line over that. Sometimes I'll do the other way around.

FWIW if you can, record any and every lil piece of music or idea that comes into your head, this way you'll have it forever instead of losing what couldve been a good song forever. Nothin worse than having a great idea and not being able to remember it.