1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with bass soloing!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Decoyx7, Jan 11, 2012.

1. My band is playing stuff like YYZ and Orion, and those fills and solos...are really hard.
    The bass solo near the end of Orion is really tough for me. The higher, smaller fretts are tough to get sound out of, and my fingering and fretting isn't very good at soloing like that. Any tips for fast playing like that? Are there any exercises I can try that can help?

It's clear I can't play a lead guitar to save my life...lol

2. Practice. A lot.

3. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    practice slowly to learn quickly. If you practice it faster than you can really play it, all you do is learn to play is sloppy. Start slow and work your way up.

5. Just concentrate on familiarising yourself with those frets slowly, and try to keep your thumb anchored on the back of the neck so you develop proper hand strength and don't get lazy and start hooking your thumb over. Soloing up at the top can actually be very strenuous on the hand because your asking it to make a lot of small, precise movements that still require grip strength to make. So take it slow and you'll soon get there. Your accuracy and fret-finding ability will improve as you go.