1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help With bass value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CJL, Oct 30, 2013.

1. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    After developing arthritis in one hand and having my other wrist surgically repaired I think I am going to have to put my 6 string bass up for sale / trade. Since I have had it for over 20 years and they don't make them any more I am hoping that someone can help me place a value on it.

It's a 1991 Ken Smith Burner Artist model 6 string. I have confirmed that info with Ken Smith's shop via email. He also confirmed that based on the serial number it is one of the basses with figured Claro walnut body wings. Built in Japan, finished / set up in the USA. Has a hard shell case.

I have attached photos. There is a finish ding on the upper edge where a guitarist dropped it about 15 years ago. Rather than that it's just fine.

If anyone can give me some value guidance I would appreciate it. Thanks. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383109171.607607. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383109193.140251. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383109212.607350.

2. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
  3. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    Bumping to the top to see if I can get any help / advice from the TB community.

4. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    http://www.basscentral.com/2003/ken_smith.shtml

These guys routinely go for $4-$6k. Used in excellent condition like yours is, I imagine you could still take away 75% or more of the value you paid for it to begin with.

I would find a high-end consignment outfit, or advertise it for sale here. You need to find people who actually understand why you want to pay $4000 or more for a bass.

That is a gorgeous instrument, btw. I wish I was in the market right now.

5. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    Thanks maxgrant for the input. However this is one if the ones that were Japanese made in the early 90's so I don't think it will be that high. It's also a bolt-on. I am thinking closer to $1500 or so but don't have any experience with these so I am looking to see if anyone else has any feedback.

6. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    the last time I was actively looking for one around 5 years ago they seemed between $1000- $1500 but most i seen where not as nice looking as yours. Usually just a solid color.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Japan Burners seem to fetch 700-900 for the 4 & 5 strings. Don't see a 6'er come up at all, so maybe 1k?