Help with Bmax

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Oct 28, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I just bought a Bmax. I was told this thing kills for metal and I was looking for a more aggressive tone. I'm playing a G&L SB-2 through an RMX 850 into an Ampeg 6x10. I'm having a hard time with the EQ section getting a usable tone. It seems like my rig clips at a lower percieved volume. Wildly uncontrollable bottom end, very dull and lifeless sound. Not the aggressive tone I was looking for.

I know the eq is a little tricky to understand, so if anyone has any pointers I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. first of all, why didnt you get the SANSAMP RBI? that has a huge aggressive tone.

the problem with your bmax is you (you should always read the users manual)

here is the FLAT eq settings, bass: 2 mid:10 treble: 2.
    its not the conventional type were flat is at 12o'clock or 5.
  3. bennettsteve

bennettsteve Guest

Dec 14, 2002
    The BMax has loads of gain, and clips easily with a high-output bass. I have to keep the gain knob at about 3 to avoid distortion with my Precisions,4-5 with my Jazz. It's not really a problem, though, you just have to find the point where your bass starts to clip the input and keep the gain below that point. Also, try the active input.
  4. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Actually, flat is bass:2, mid:0, treble:2

That is per the supplement included with the owner's manual.

I noticed that same thing Steve, my SB-2 is passive but it has a really hot output. I'm running the gain at about four (through the active input) and the master is maxed. I'm just not getting the volume I need with this gain structure.

I'm really cutting mids, any sort of approach to flat sounds extremely honky and boxy.

Pointers on EQ would be greatly appreciated!
  5. your wrong!

mid is only cut

mid=10 for flat
  6. Fenderbluesdude was right. Check out page 5 of the owners manual under "Pre-Amp". Here's the link:

To get more of an aggressive sound I would boost the treble to about 8 or so with the bright switch on. Depending on how much bass you like, you can set it to taste. If you're going for a Korn type of sound(I don't know why you would want to sound like that, but anyways...), I would bump the treble all the way up and put the bass on about 3-4 or so and put your mids at about 5 or so. that would give you the clicky type of tone you may be looking for. You might also want to turn down the low process on the Sonic Maximizer too to cut the really low frequencies. Also, since you are using a G&L, I suppose you have 2 humbuckers with exposed poles, like the Music Man basses, right?? If so, set it to where you use the bridge pickup, which will give you more of a gritty tone. Let us know how it turns out.
  7. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I have one of the newer Bmax's, the mid knob when turned all the way to the right points at 0. When turned all the way left, points at -10.

There was a supplement included that points out these changes.

Refined, I play an SB-2, it is equipped with PJ pickup arrangement.
  8. Nevermind about the bass thing, I just looked it up and it was different than I thought. I don't have a whole lot of insight on P&J setups. On my J bass though, for a more aggressive tone I roll the tone knob all the way on and solo out my bridge pickup. Hope that helps
  9. bennettsteve

bennettsteve Guest

Dec 14, 2002
    I run mine just about flat, and sometimes boost the mids at 200 for a little more oomph. Cutting mids will make it harder to hear yourself. I've never had a volume problem, and I've never had the master above 5. Do you have the compressor in or out? It will suck the life out of your tone if you turn it up too high. I set it so it only kicks in on the occasional peak.
  10. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I have the compressor at about nine o'clock.

Ampeg, I'm comin' home...
  11. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    sorry, just to clear up what you have probably already figured out.

the original silk-screen had all three eq knobs reading 0-10 going clockwise from the left.

the treble and bass are boost only so they are 0-10.
    the mids are cut only, so i corrected the later models silk-screen so it reads 10-0; flat on the mids is all the way clockwise. this is reflected in the later owners manuals.

sorry for the confusion. just to stir it up even more, the alembic and old fender preamp eq's are exactly the same as the bbe, but those guys have always had their knobs read 0-10 on all.

ever notice on an old fender amp that if you have all the eq knobs at 0, there is no sound? it's the same passive/interactive circuit design that we use in the front-end of both the BMax and BMax-T.

i hope this helps.

12. Are you using the para-mid EQ section and the sonic maximizer? The BMax is quite capable of being very, very aggressive if you dial it in right. Try setting the para-mid EQ at 700hz with the gain at 4 o'clock. I keep the bass control on the BMax set almost flat, because there is so much low end available. Really, this preamp is one of the best sounding I've ever heard, I think (paired with a good power amp) it kills any Ampeg short of the all-tube SVT, but that just my preference.
  13. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Who told you that :confused: ? I guess it's better suited for metal than the tube version, but fenderbluesdude was right... Why didn't you check out a SansAmp RBI?

14. NO you didnt...I sent it to you and never received payment. You said you sent it back but It never arrived.

How about you send me my payment?
  15. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That sucks! Tip: Never send out the item without receiving payment under any circumstances.
  16. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Look, I talked to this guy about his used piece. I found a new one locally for $30 bucks more. I declined purchase but he had already shipped it. It is now on its way back to him. Chill...
  17. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey CS I use a BMax through a PLX 1602 through an Ampeg SVT-410HLF. My bass is an active/passive P-bass and I can get very aggressive. Heres how I have mine setup:

Treble boost: on
    Gain:10 o'clock
    Treble: Flat
    Mid: Flat
    Bass: Flat
    Mid Gain: all the way up
    Compressor: on
    Compressor control: 8-9 o'clock
    BBE Maximizer: Off
    Master: 12' oclock

On my power amp I have it bridged mono on a 4 ohm load and I have the power amp at about 2 o'clock and use the master volume on my preamp to taste. On my bass I have a smidge of bass boost (Aguilar OBP-1) and just a bit more on treble boost.

If you are clipping try bridging your power amp and turning up the volume all the way. This gives you max headroom. Then just use the BBE's volume knob to adjust the overall volume.

Also on the back of the Ampeg cab I have the tweeter at 12 o'clock.

Hope this info helps out