Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with boost/overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dumelow, Feb 20, 2006.

1. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    in my band ive got a song or two where its bass and drums only. Ive got a pretty nice sound through my big muff, but it doesnt sound thick enough without the guitar obviously. I reckon getting a boost pedal will fix this, and i think am gonna get the MXR Micro Amp. But then i thought i may aswell buy an overdrive pedal with a boost option on it. So i was wondering if anybody can recommend some pedals that are a volume boost on clean, but also have quite a flexible overdrive sound on it.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Voodoo Labs sparkle drive has a "clean" knob that blends in the clean signal with the OD. When maxed out it is a clean boost.

The OD is basically a tube screamer clone.

3. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    cheers ill give it a look

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A clean boost won't solve your problem.
    You want to mix you clean and big muffed tones.
    That's a job for a Boss LS-2.
    Then if you don't like what you get from the mix, you can use it as a clean boost too.

5. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    well i just need it to be louder really, without turning my amp so loud that im busting the speakers, i just thought a small signal boost will do the job

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It won't help with your thickness issue. The Muff is essentially a guitar pedal and it eats lows like crazy. to correct that you need to inject some clean tone.