Help with Boss Bass Chorus on analog chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by George_Mirror, Nov 19, 2015.

1. George_Mirror

George_Mirror

Nov 1, 2015
    Hi
    I was thinking getting a chorus, but a use only a borrowed one in certain songs son pay 180 bucks for a choris pedal only to use it from time to time is crazy.
    I have the oportunity to buy a CEB3 Boss Bass Chorus for 50 bucks or something.
    I use only other 2 effects (on all the time) the MXR Compressor and the MXR Pre-amp
    The boss is not analog, do you recomend to put it in the chain or put an analog one, the Boss is going to eat my sound???
    I neves use a CEB 3 before i dont how it sounds.

2. danster

danster Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    I have one. It sounds good. I like the fact that you can dial in the chorus amount to just the high strings if you want. I use it at the 3rd spot in my chain. ( Boss Tuner - Boss OC2 - Boss CEB3 - MXR M80 DI.)

Dilbert likes this.
  3. I had one, it is ok, super mild, but IME the least favourite chorus I've ever had/tried, and there have been a few.

In a similar price range, I'd suggest an EHX Small Clone. Fantastic lush tone, well worth the minimal dollars you'll spend for it.

George_Mirror likes this.
  4. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd actually recommend the CE5 over the "Bass Chorus" any day. Been using it for years with no "tone suck", sounds more full and can do a better subtle or more aggressive chorus. To me anyway. Also, can't tell much of a difference between the analog or digital ones. Got mine for $45!

bassproduction likes this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The CE-5 is a great chorus, one of my all time favorites.

torza likes this.
  6. Dilbert

Dilbert

Nov 20, 2012
    Northampton, U.K
    I have a CEB-3 and it does it's job well.
    As Danster said the low filter is cool.

7. If you decide NOT to get the CEB-3, you might consider trying to find a used Zoom MS-70CDR.
    I have a friend who's got two, he liked the first one so much and needed a second chorus, so he's got chorus before and after some other stuff in his chain without having to swap stuff out mid-gig.
    Though it might be more expensive, even used, a MFX could do the chorus duty on your 2-3 songs that need it, and then offer a bevy of tonal options for other songs.

zoomMS-70CDR_MultiStomp-ChorusDelayReverbPedal.png About $75-95 bucks in the TB classifieds; $90+ average on Reverb

Or even the MS-60B, which has some decent chorus (from what I've read), plus a whole lot more to explore – four effects at once.
    zoomMS60B_MultiStompForBass.png One for $75 in the TB Classifieds right now, typically more on Reverb

The MS-100BT can do six effects at once, but it doesn't have as many bass-friendly options as the MS-60B, though you can download/buy more of the bass-specific sounds.

zoomMS-100BT_MultiStompGuitarPedalwithBluetooth.png No idea what these are going for used, bit of a rare bird in the classifieds

I've not tried the CEB-3, but I've got the Boss CE-2B, which is okay for subtle stuff. I've got a variety of other chorus options for more intense effects such as an M5 and Cosmichorus amongst them.

However, 50 bucks is hard to beat! If you don't like it, you can flip it for probably what you paid for it and put the money towards something more to your taste/needs.

Best of luck getting the chorus that's right for you!

George_Mirror likes this.
  8. George_Mirror

George_Mirror

Nov 1, 2015
    Bought the Ceb3, good chorus
    I dont use a lot only when I play with fingers in semi acoustic songs and do the work really good! Cant beat the quality vs price
    And us built like a tank

9. butter_fingers

butter_fingers

Mar 25, 2012
    Toronto
    Just bought a used CEB3 for $50.
    Only one song I intend to use it on so far.
    Pick it up today, will report back.
    Was intrigued by the Low Filter option, as I only want it on the high strings.
    Here's a good review of the CEB3, although he doesn't demonstrate the DEPTH knob very well:

10. George_Mirror

George_Mirror

Nov 1, 2015
    If you want to only get chorus on the high notes put de freq at 9 o clock aprox that gonna cut de low
    This knob is a plus in the pedal and determine the freq, clockwise more freq espectrum

butter_fingers likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021