1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help With Boss GEB-7 Settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stampy, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have had this for a few weeks now but not being familiar with EQ pedals now and I am having trouble getting right sound I am looking for. The two bands I play the most are Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Rush. I have it set for the most part on Boss's standard rock setting. I find my highs are really loud and I need to get that down a bit so I bought a CS-3 Compressor Pedal which helped but it sucked my lows. I am looking to get my thump back and quiet my highs a tad. If someone can tell me were to set it or take a picture of what yours is set at to help me out would be very much apreciated.

2. I'd try playing with the settings on the "rock" setting and see if you can't get rid of the loud highs. The little boost slider may have something to do with those being like that.

Take the time to mess with it and see.

3. The GEB-7 is just one small part of your overall tone, don't rely on it for everything. Work on your bass, amp, even strings...

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Honestly Stampy, I would take the CS3 out of your chain for a while. The EQ is going to be much more useful to you at this stage. I would not add a compressor at all until you have the majority of the tone you want already dialed in. The CS3 is causing more problems than it's solving at this stage.

5. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Yeah I am working on both trying to get it right.

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, that's clear- my point is that IMO you shouldn't. :)

7. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    LOL!!! Ok here are some pictures of the way my equipment is set right now. I'm getting closer. Sorry about the quality of the pictures I must of had the shakes lol. Bongomania forget that the compressor is there lol.

001-3.
    002-1.

8. Hmm. You set up your BA115 the way I do. I'd lower the treble settings on the EQ, and take out the compressor for a while, like Bongo said.
    He is somewhat of an authority on the subject of Compression.

9. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Would it make a difference I run the two pedals in. Right now its:
    Bass - CS-3 - GEB-7 - BA115. If I switched the pedals around would that do anything? Ohh and without the compressor the way I set the GEB-7 makes it nice and loud!

10. The difference would be that the compressed signal would be equalized, and the equalized signal compressed. Aside from that, I do not know. I would imagine that you'd want to equalize the compressed signal.

If the loudness is the desired effect, then I'd leave the compressor out.

11. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I love both depending on the sound I am playing. I guess I will just have to just turn it on for some and leave it off for others. I am convienced there is no happy medium unless I turn the volume level up on the CS-3