Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Bowing

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Penguin220, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Penguin220

Penguin220

Jun 18, 2001
    I've been playing double bass for a few months now and I am unhappy with the sound I am getting when I bow. I was wondering if anyone out there has any tips on bowing?

2. What does your teacher say? You DO have a teacher, right???...

Arco is something you will not learn from a book, or from the InterNet, or from a tape. An hour (or 10) with a good teacher can save you years of trial and error, and will help you avoid bad habits...

Good Luck!

- Wil

3. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Hi, well bowing is something that just has to come with time and expirience. Some tips....., make sure you have all of the hair on the string, it should be flat on it to get al the sound you can. Another big thing to look out for is to make sure your bow in not sliding up and down the string that takes all the tone away!!! ****When you play higher notes or louder notes you should have the bow closer to the bridge, if you want to play softly bring the bow up! ***
    What kind of bass do you have that could also be why it sounds bad......... did you know we have the same birthday

hope this will help.