Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with broken bow!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Peter_00, Sep 16, 2003.

1. I was at a rehersal today and tightened my bow and sat it down to pick up my bass and when I turn back the hair at the tip has come out and I'm left with a small piece of wood and the hair completly out of the bow. Help! Is there a way to fix this? I have to gig tomorrow night!

thanks in advance everyone

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Is it broken or you just need a rehair ? Sometimes luthiers lend a spare bow when yours is in for a rehair...

3. If the wood plug came out without any help from you, just replacing the plug in the tip with the hair is not going to work. A new plug need to be cut and that means a rehair job. Why did it happen? Like anything else made of wood, it expands and contracts with the weather. However, a good bow luthier will make the plug so that it won't come out again so easily. FYI - the plugs should NOT be glued in.

4. I think it was the weather because my bass and bow had to be inside a hot car for a few hours prior. There's no one that can give me a re hair around here so I'm going to do my best to track down a bow to borrow today.

Thanks guys

5. Aaaarrrggghhhhhh!

You BAD BAD BAD BAD person!!!!! WICKED BOY! WICKED! WICKED! WICKED! BOY!

No wonder that your poor bass & poor bow are falling apart! That's one of the most worstest things you could do to your poor instrument!!!

[rant over]

OK - here's what you need to do:

1) Don't leave your bass (or bow) in a hot car.

2) I you need to ignore (1), then invest in a "Emergency Blanket" (also known as a "Space Blanket") for about $2-$3 from a camping or outdoors store, and wrap the blanket (shiny-side out) around the bass... I find that it works very well, but if you leave the bass in a hot car all... oh dear (sob!) I can't bear it, please excuse me (whimper)... will be alright after I calm down... no, don't need the tablets... will be alright in a moment... ah, I must go... lay down... aaahhhrrrrgggg...

- Wil