Help with broken bow!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Peter_00, Sep 16, 2003.

1. I was at a rehersal today and tightened my bow and sat it down to pick up my bass and when I turn back the hair at the tip has come out and I'm left with a small piece of wood and the hair completly out of the bow. Help! Is there a way to fix this? I have to gig tomorrow night!

thanks in advance everyone
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Is it broken or you just need a rehair ? Sometimes luthiers lend a spare bow when yours is in for a rehair...
  3. If the wood plug came out without any help from you, just replacing the plug in the tip with the hair is not going to work. A new plug need to be cut and that means a rehair job. Why did it happen? Like anything else made of wood, it expands and contracts with the weather. However, a good bow luthier will make the plug so that it won't come out again so easily. FYI - the plugs should NOT be glued in.
  4. I think it was the weather because my bass and bow had to be inside a hot car for a few hours prior. There's no one that can give me a re hair around here so I'm going to do my best to track down a bow to borrow today.

Thanks guys
  5. Aaaarrrggghhhhhh!

No wonder that your poor bass & poor bow are falling apart! That's one of the most worstest things you could do to your poor instrument!!!

[rant over]

OK - here's what you need to do:

1) Don't leave your bass (or bow) in a hot car.

2) I you need to ignore (1), then invest in a "Emergency Blanket" (also known as a "Space Blanket") for about $2-$3 from a camping or outdoors store, and wrap the blanket (shiny-side out) around the bass... I find that it works very well, but if you leave the bass in a hot car all... oh dear (sob!) I can't bear it, please excuse me (whimper)... will be alright after I calm down... no, don't need the tablets... will be alright in a moment... ah, I must go... lay down... aaahhhrrrrgggg...

- Wil