Help with building a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kronik2k2, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Kronik2k2

Jan 3, 2002
    i want to build a cabinet but cant find any good resources about actual dimensions and info on wherethe best speaker placement is in the cab and what kind of wood and basicly the basics about building a cab does anyone know theese basics or know of places ont he net that has a lot of info on the subject also all this info on guitar cabs also thanks
  2. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    search for a thread here called cab building 101 or something close to that...thatll get you more than reeling
  3. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    KRON! is that you?

4. Kronik2k2

Jan 3, 2002
    jarod are you trying to say u know me from somewhere ??
  5. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i was.... but i don't think you're the same person i thought
  6. Hello Kronik2k2 and a warm welcome to TB.

There are a few guys on TB who know what they're on about: MickeyD; Joris, Nightbass, Bgavin, to name but 4. No doubt there are more.

There's a free speaker cab design program available on the WWW - there are a few to be honest - but I downloaded WINISD and found it OK. Not that this is really my subject, you understand.

The prog. comes with a data base of loads of drivers' characteristics. You select the one you want and follow the on screen prompts to end up with the dimensions of the box. As I understand it, though (and I'm now taking cover behind my desk to avoid the bullets from the above mentioned guys;)) a box that produces a flat frequency response is not always desirable from a sound point of view, although it might be best in theory. Various gear manufacturers all make cabs of different physical dimensions and they all yield different sound properties.

I guess you could do worse that try some cabs, then build to those dimensions provided you know the actual speakers used and that you can buy them.

The general consensus seems to be that cab building is arduous, time consuming and expensive. But you might want to give it a go.

7. Kronik2k2

Jan 3, 2002
    thanks alot rockin john that was exactly what i was looking for i really apreciate your reply also do you know of any guitar forums like talk bass thanks
  8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    just a note kronik cabs for guitar arent designe dlike cabs for bass and all those speaker programs rockin jon mentioned are really for designing the low end properties of the cab which arent nearly as big a deal for guitar half the cabs just have an open back anyway hey notice how hard this is to read thats right theres a thing called punctuation use it
  9. OK Kronik. No problem.

Gehsel is right....on both counts. I can't add any more about speaker cabs. I just don't know any more:rolleyes:

May I respectfully suggest that you structure your posts a little better. A continuous string of text is very, very tedious to read. Commas, full stops and paragraphs really are required...:D

Sorry, I don't know of any guitarists' forums.

Best of luck with the cab.

10. twi6gy

Nov 13, 2001
    im building a cab for myslef too (well actually my dad is doing it for me). and i didnt no that the demensions and wood would really affect it that much, oh well, i hope my dad knows what hes donig......