Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with building a Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silent method, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Hey everyone,

I am looking to get a custom warmoth built but i honestly dont know a whole heck of a lot about the materials used and how they affect sound. i know what i would like the bass to look like but am looking for some solid advice about the actual construction of the bass. I will try to give you as much info as i can and please ask if there is anything i forgot (im sure there is lots).

weight isnt a concern
    4 string
    j-bass pickups and body
    standard (34" ???) scale
    birdseye top
    black hardware
    no pickgaurd
    looking for somthing with higher mids and lows

2. bump

come on guys please, anything is helpful

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    you got tons of hits but I don't really know what you're asking. This may be the problem. Can you be more specific?

4. I think you want to know what woods, etc, will effect tone??? Well, it is commonly believed that a maple fretboard will give you a brighter tone, as would a lighter body, kind of 70's J-bass sounding. Rosewood boards and heavier woods tend to give a darker sound. For added mids, generally you'll need some form of onboard EQ. String thru body design can add extra sustain to the sound, I believe the heavier duty bridges also aid with this. I'm not sure that things such as a flammed maple top will change the sound much.

That's my little piece of construction knowledge.

5. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    I just visited the Warmoth web site and you have everything there to make a beautiful Jazz bass. The sound that you are looking for will be a body wih
    Flame koa /alder
    Koa is good for high mid so is mahogany
    Alder is good for lows
    or you can go with a "Walnut" body which gives both tone high mid and lows.(amazing sound)
    Birdeye rock of soft maple will give you a very bright sound
    doesn't matter what you put it on because it's a very tight close grain wood.
    For fingerboard on your neck you sould go with PAu Ferro or Brazilian rosewood or even Ebony. Again maple is too bright
    for the sound you're after.
    I hope it helps a bit
    René
    20 years experience making and repairs as a luthier

You are more than welcome, if you have more questions,
    don't hesitate, it will be a pleasure to try to help you.

6. thank you soo much for the previous 2 posts, this is the kinda stuff i was looking for. i really apperciate your time

7. More than welcome, tho I think Rene has a lot more experience than me, I just buy oldies and refinish them & kit them out with new p/ups & pre-amps.

8. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    As a matter of fact, my 3rd Warmoth is ready tomorrow!!!

I think weight should be a concern, at least to a point. If you notice, most high line basses, such as sadowsky, tend to be in a certain range (8<9 lbs). i think that they maybe resonate better. I'm a 4 string guy also (I like a 34" scale), but I also dig a p bass pup in the neck position. I also put in an Aguilar OBP-3 (18v). I chose quilt maple over alder with a macassar ebony neck and fret board. A good mix I think. No pickguard either. why take away from that beautiful wood? Gold hardware (schaller keys, gotoh bridge). You definitely want a heavy bridge for increased sustain. Look at Hipshot or Leo Quan bridges also. String through body? some people say better sustain, others don't. Check out www.mpguitars.com to learn more about that.
    You may also want to check out www.usacustomguitars.com for parts (bodies and necks). Their work is second to none (i just got 3 necks in from them).
    Questions? ask me.

9. In the wood description area of their website, Warmoth said that black korina is a great wood for bass guitars. So I ordered a black korina jazz body. And they were right! I also ordered a maple neck with an ebony fingerboard. My bass has a Badass bridge and Basslines pickups (1 P and 1 J).

It sounds terrific, nice and rich with lots of sustain and a bit of growl too.

10. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I am curious myself. what does korina sound like? Is there something to compare it to?

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Fat & fluffy... soft is another word that comes to mind.

12. this site is sooo amazing, everytime i log on i learn volumes about bass and music in general, thank you everyone for all the replys!

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    not another wood-tone thread!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    concern more about the pickups and preamp, fralin pickups have a great overall tone, vintage vive with good definition, then i might suggest you an aguilar obp-3 that has one of the best on board EQ out there.

then woods try to get a mass-full neck for avoiding dead spots, wenge is my fav especially with a swamp ash body.