Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with burning CD's

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have been tasked by my band to be in charge of burning CD's of new material and handing them out at rehearsal. I use ITunes to create the CD's, and Acoustica to convert to .WAV format. The problem is that the CD's only seem to work on certain players, and the problems range from not reading the CD at all to truncating the last track. Anyone have a sure fire method for creating CD's? I have used various brands of CD-R and CD-RW disks, and 3 different burners with the same erratic results.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What software do you use?

3. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Acoustica to convert from MP3 to WAV
    ITunes to burn the CD's

4. I've never had problems burning things in mp3 format using Windows media player

5. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    This is in CDA format for play in standard CD players.

6. Well, with this comment I assumed you had all the songs in MP3 and wanted to put them into WAV and then burn the onto a disk in WAV format, so I was thinking that it wasn't working in all players because it was in WAV format and the comment I made was because I've always used MP3 format when burning songs onto a disk that are on my computer and it has worked it every player.

7. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Don't use CD-RW's and try burning at a low speed. See if that makes a difference.

Tom

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I use Furio software, which is free and ridiculously easy. I also use an MKW converter (that converts shns and MP3s to wav files). I have never had a problem with any of the CDs I;ve burned and I have literally hundreds of (legal) live bootleg CDs that I have burned.

Here is the link for the free software mentioned above as well as some other free software.

When possible, try to buy CD-Rs that are manufactured in Japan. Here is a message board devoted entirely to geeky CD-R discussion and there is a lot of useful info there as well on burning.

The most dependable brand on the market is probably the Japanese-made Fuji CD-Rs, which are made by a specific factory in Japan that is considered to have the highest quality control of any CD-R manufacturer in the world.

9. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks guys. I switched to Maxell CD-R and they are working like a charm.

The drummer had the nerve to make a remark to me at practice today like "thanks for the CD's that dont work" I was temped to tell him to take them and shove them. :spit: :mad: That's gratitude for ya. :scowl:

10. I've always found that no matter what software is used, nothing burns a CD better than a well lit propane torch. :rolleyes: