Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with buying bass, bass newb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ugliertrevor, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ugliertrevor

ugliertrevor

Aug 26, 2004
    hey guys, ive been playing guitar for 3 years and have gotten somewhat bored of it. Im looking to buy a bass and have absolutely no clue about them. All i know is i am going to be playing metal/prog and would like a 5 string. really would like that kindof metallic sound that Justin from tool works with. and im not looking to spend alot more than 400, since its my first bass. thanks, and if there arent very good basses with the sound i am looking for under 400, then just suggest a bass. thanks guys, and if i said something stupid please no flame, im a total newb to bass.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I say go nice used Ibanez or even something like a slightly banged up used Lakland skyline 5501 on ebay. That would be awesome although probably a tad over 4.

4. I would find something that you really like and then pay to have it set up correctly by a competent tech.

Good Luck!
    Jeff

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Don't worry, you didn't say anything stupid ;). Not that we'd flame you if you had...

:bag:

Yeah, I'll second the suggestion for Ibanez. Try out the BTBs, and the Soundgears. I've played a few of the higher-end Soundgear basses, and they're pretty nice -- especially the SRX (soundgear "xtreme"). Despite the silly name, it's quite a piece of bass for the money.To be honest, I don't know what bass Justin uses, but he does get that sweet, sweet tone, now doesn't he? If I recall correctly, (IIRC,) he uses a pick to help get that aggressive, clear tone with lots of attack.

6. ugliertrevor

ugliertrevor

Aug 26, 2004
    thanks guys.One of my friends also suggested a schecter Stiletto Deluxe-5 Bass. any good? thanks again

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Try and get one of the Korean Spectors in the sales, I believe some have bought them for ridiculously low prices! :hyper:

Then, in order to get your 'Tool' sound ensure you have a SansAmp Bass Driver in your Amp set up. :bassist:

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I tried a Schecter Stiletto Studio that was simply excellent. However you'll have to find it used to get it under $400. The Elite is very good too. The Deluxe (a bolt on) is likely more in yr range. It’s not as snazzy as the neck-thru Studio, Elite, and Custom, but its not bad and worth a test drive.

Agreed, it has a silly name, but I second the motion on the Ibanez SRX Extreme 5 string. I really dig the BTBs but you'll have to go used to find it under $400.

Then there's the Mex Fender Deluxe Jazz V. It will have to be used to get it under $400 but it will likely be worth it. There is a Mex passive 5 as well that's usually pretty inexpensive but tonally the active Deluxe will do better by you and will require no upgrades down the road.

The DeArmond Pilot basses may be one of yr best bets. Their higher end models (the neck thrus) where pretty damn good but they were discontinued. I bet you could score a great 5 string possibly well under $400 if you search well enough. Hell, I almost bought one myself a few years back.

Bummer the imported G&L Tribute line is so new because their L2500 is likely the best of the lot in this range but you'd have to get it used to beat $400 and I doubt there are any used ones out just yet.

Just keep yr eyes on eBay. Do a search for Five string or 5 string basses and limit it to the 00 to $350 range and you'll eventually net something.

Good luck.
    r

9. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Get a Ric......more money but worth it........get a Ric....... :hyper: