1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with BYOC Large Beaver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chris V., Mar 7, 2008.

1. Hello everyone,

:help:

How do I tell the difference between the 120 ohm and 10k ohm resistors seeing as they are both brown, black, black, red, brown?

Also, on the rotary switch there are 4 plastic things that hold the two pieces of the switch together. Two of these broke off, and I was wondering if this is supposed to happen? Do I need to take off the plastic tabs to use the rotary switch?

Thank you!

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

try the BYOC forum.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    +1!

4. I was actually working on this pedal last weekend and came across the same problem. The best way to tell the difference is to just use a multimeter.

5. That's what I ended up having to do. I ended up borrowing one from someone and by that time I had already soldered it in. It ended up being the right one though. :)

Did you solder the round black things (transistors?) onto the circuit board? I soldered mine on, but got confused at the end when it tells you not to solder the transistors...

6. Yeah, the circles are just sockets, so as long as you don't put the actual transistors in they wont do any harm(I think). I put them on in case I want to turn it into a large beaver later.

Of course after I made it, it didn't work. I need to go back and debug it, but school owns my soul so I haven't had time to yet.

7. Me too... If I ever have kids they are not allowed to do the International Baccalaureate - it's a horrible system. :spit:

Anyway, I hope I can get it to work later.

Do you know what the difference between solder lugged pots and ones that aren't are? I get stuck when I have to mount them...

8. Ah that's weird, I never thought about that. Technically the code for 120 ohm is brown red black black brown, but I see now that's the same as the code for 10k backwards. It will be hard to see but there should be extra space the red and brown stripes on the 10k, and extra space between the black and brown stripes on the 120 ohm. The multimeter is probably the way to go ;)

9. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Chris V. is a noooob!!!!

10. Bah! Go back to ToolTabs! :smug:

Thanks guys. I managed to figure it out. All that's left is the wiring... I think I'll do it tomorrow when there's some natural light.