1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with cabinet advice & suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Precision345, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Hi TB,

I am in the market for a smaller, lighter cabinet, tired of lugging around my Ampeg 4x10, I dunno how you guys with fridges do it. The weight isn't so bad but it's definitely an awkward size because I mostly want to save room in the vehicle by downsizing cabinets. Nice to have a spare cabinet too, just in case.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm better off getting a 1x15, a 2x10, or a 2x15? I have two different heads, a Gallien Krueger 400RB IV @ 4 Ohms and a Traynor Dynabass 400h @ 8 ohms. I will likely be using the GK. Price, size, and sound are the primary concerns here and it would be nice if the cabinet had 1/4" and Speakon inputs. Other than that, i'm not terribly picky.

Please, I would like some suggestions or advice.

A few I've considered are:

Mesa Boogie - Traditional PowerHouse Cabinets

http://www.long-mcquade.com/product.../Traditional_PowerHouse_1x15_-_300W_8_Ohm.htm

http://www.long-mcquade.com/product.../Traditional_PowerHouse_1x15_-_300W_8_Ohm.htm

Orange Amplifiers - 1x15 Eminence Bass Cab

http://www.long-mcquade.com/product...mplifiers/OBC115_-_1x15_Eminence_Bass_Cab.htm

Traynor - 600 Watt 1x15 / 2x10 Bass Cabinet

http://www.long-mcquade.com/product...rs/TC210_400_Watt_2x10_Bass_Extension_Cab.htm

The Traynor is defintely winning the price race but I've heard a lot of good reviews of Orange and Mesa Boogie, but I have never used either in my own experience.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Which 410 do you have? If you have the 410hlf, maybe one of the Portaflex cabs would be up your alley, since they all go pretty low. If you have the 410he, maybe one of the new SVT 212av or 112av's would be more your thing, since they're tuned in the lows closer to the 410he (caveat: haven't heard the 12" cabs yet, just going by what Dino at Ampeg says about them).

3. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    I'm not 100% which Ampeg 4x10 I have. It's an older model, 4 ohm cabinet

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Probably a 410hlf or similar, then. Ya, Portaflex cabs would probably be the downsized cabs you should check out in Ampeg's line.

5. Can,t go wrong with the GK cabs...OR have a custom LDS cab made. I picked up 4x8 LDS cab from a TBr that weighs just over 50# that is punchy and loud at 8ohms with my GKMB800. Called Don at LDS and he quoted me $549 to make a matching cab which is a screaming deal...AND it isn't made in China.

6. man, at my practice space there's a 410 HLF, the cab has a lot of good muscle to it, but not much mids of which to speak. My big complaint though is the towel bar, if they just made it a flatback with four wheels on the bottom it'd be SO much easier to move around, the towel bar works with 810's 'cause they're big enough that you won't be crouching to tilt it. Maybe checking out the portaflex 410 HLF would be enough of an improvement to sway him.

7. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    I already have a 410 half. The point of this thread was to find something smaller, less awkward. My 410 doesn't have a towel bar and its still a pain in the ass to move. Wheels or not, theyre peices of **** and always fall off anyway

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I did not see you looking at a 2x10 version of your Ampeg 4x10. You were looking for a smaller alternative and to have an extra cab around, well match the 4x10 with a 2x10 and then you have the option of combining them for a super rig or splitting them for smaller and smaller shows. IMHO - Orange are just too expensive for what they are, Traynor (Mackie or whoever these days) are not super great and Mesa are heavy!! Just my humble opinion

9. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    Get the GK Neo 212-2 8 ohm cab and use it with your 400.

Light weight, very well built, easy to move and it will sound fantastic. Also, it won't put a big dent in your holiday cash (especially if you buy it lightly used) and it's MIA for those that care.

Later, if needed, you can grab another one if you need to play something very large without FOH.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If they have them at LM, take the time to test each with your amp. They will sound different and sound, and to a lesser extent, weight should be your priority. As you said, some cabs are more awkward to transport than others.

Traynor makes descent products but they don't tell you whose speakers they use. Years ago, their speakers were low end. I'd be looking for a both a quality designed and built cab with a good speaker. LM have always pushed Traynor. They have deep rooted ties to the brand since Traynor started his amp company there.

I like the Mesa cabs. Built like a tank to handle the road but this adds some weight.

Orange cabs are, err bright orange. :p

11. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    +1

12. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I haven't seen mention of trading out for a pair of 2x10's, keeping the same amount of cones as you have, just splitting them into two boxes. Plus you can stack them standing up and they'll work better for personal monitoring. Svt210av's are a good recommendation. Don't know where you'd put either of those amps, though. Definitely not on top of that stack, I'd imagine. ;)

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I love my 210av's, but coming from a 410hlf, he'd most like prefer a lower tuned cab.

14. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    With all due respect, I wonder if the OP even knows what type of cab he has? An SVT-410HLF without towel bar and wheels that come off is not an HLF model. Is there perhaps some strange mixup between "HLF" and "half" as in "half an 810" / "half stack"?

Tone wise the obsolete SVT-210HE(N) is basically two of the HLF drivers in a vented box, where the SVT-210AV is rather close to half an SVT-410HE(N).

15. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Well whatever it is, it has 4 10s in it. So if it has 4 10s in it and a full stack has 8 then wouldn't it be fair to call it a half stack? :p

16. rberry7777

rberry7777

Feb 5, 2010
    agreed

17. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    This is a good idea. The ****** thing is that my ampeg 4x10 is actually a 4 ohm cab so I can only use it by itself with my GK head. I will probably get a neo 212 in the future though!