Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Cabs for a very powerful head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Theshortlist_to, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    I have a Laney B1 head

its is 1500 watts when bridged -Minimum load 4 ohms
    or 750 watts per side -Minimum load 2 ohms

im scared of when i buy some cabs they will blow very easily.

any suggestions on cabs or anyone who has this head please help me.

plus what difference does the Ohms make to the output power?

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    running the head into an 8 ohm load(bridged) should cut the output to something like 750-800 watts. if you are looking for a one cab solution the i would get something along the lines of a quality 410, 212, 412. my personal choice is the schroeder 21012. i routinely run 2000 watts into it. don't worry about the power ratings of the cab too much. it's much more important that you don't clip the amp. other cabs that might float your boat are eden 410xlt or xst, epifani 410 or 310 or 212 (nyc or ul), ampeg 410hlf, or maby the new series of carvin cabinets (never heard those though) you could always go with something like an accugroove if money is no object (whappo or whappo jr.) personally i would get a schroeder, but i play one so of course i would recommend them. if you want to stick with one big cab, get the 4 ohm version. if you want two smaller cabs (or two big cabs) get 8 ohm cabs in something like a 210, 212, 112. figure out your gig requirements and sound preference and buy accordingly. then post a review of that head cause i haven't read much on it.

3. Many people on TB use rigs that "CAN" throw more power than their cabs are rated for. At one time I was using 900 available watts of power into a 200 watt cab. I never had a problem with this combo.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Check out Schroeder, Eden and Avatar. You shouldnt be disappointed.

A lot will vary depending on your money. If your low on cash, I'd go with Avatar. They're cheaper, but amazing quality for the price.

If your swimming in s'more cash, take a look at Eden and Schroeder and decide what's best for you.

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Acme's should work well.

6. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Those little db numbers on your poweramp levels mean something. ;)

7. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    thanks for all the feedback and help

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Acme, Aguilar, Bergantino, Schroeder, Epiphani, Eden, SWR (Older the better IMO) are all nice cabs i find.

9. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    whats the quality like with the Warwick cabs?