1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with carve top

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Mar 29, 2009.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    I am really starting getting into wood carving, and i figured i would start getting things together to do this as a summer project. I am still working out the details, but a few of them require more knowledge on carve tops.
    I plan to still use a regular flat bridge machine if i can get away with it. do carve tops have a flatter area at the neck/pups/bridge area? I assume i will have to recess the bridge to get everything to flow better. Also, I want it to have a set neck. When do i glue on the neck, before or after the top is carved?
    I know i should route everything while the top is still flat, but how will i know how deep to go? How thick should i make the top?What different styles are there that i should look at?
    I was thinking of using walnut for the top, since it carves nicely, but what other tops are easy to carve?
    Here are the plans of the woods i was thinking of using: QS quilted cherry neck, bloodwood or purpleheart fretless fingerboard (that is going to be a hard choice), mahogany body, then the carve top.

2. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    are you talking about a les paul style carved top (not the body shape but how you are going to carve the top)

3. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    I know there are a few styles, so i am not sure what i am going with, but i will probably take some aspects of on and some from another. I could use a few carving examples to look at.