Help with carvin basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rygel45, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Rygel45

Dec 28, 2002
    Im on a budget, so i'm thinking of going with a carvin. My question is, soundwise, what are the differences between the LB20 and the LB75? I dont want to pay the extra money just for the five string, so if theres no difference i'd be screwed. If you have any other tips about these basses or other reccomendations, id appreciate it. Thanks
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I'm not sure what your question is. If you don't want a 5-string, then shouldn't you be comparing the LB20 and the LB70? The 20 is passive, the 70 has active electronics.
  3. Sounds like you have a couple of basic questions you need to ask yourself.

1. Do you want or need a 5 string or would a 4 do it for you? That will depend on the music you're into. If you'll be playing lots of songs that require dropped tunings (i.e. reggae, jazz, etc.) you should consider the fiver... on the other hand if you're a beginning slapper you might want to stick with 4 for awhile.

2. Do you want or need active electronics? Passive systems don't require a battery (this is a good thing) and deliver a certain sound that is different for each bass. Active systems require 1 or more batteries and will need to be replaced/recharged from time to time. The Carvin actives can be switched off in case of battery failure (nice feature), but this should rarely happen as the batteries in my Carvin last 6 months. The active system usually delivers a wider range of sounds than passive system... but not always. Carvins best active system is for the 18 volt piezo. You may or may not like the piezo palatte of tones (I do, and blend a little piezo into most of my mixes), but you will probably like the preamp better than Carvins 9 volt unit. You'll get more headroom, noisefree operation, and an amazing array of sounds.

As always, see if you can try a couple out before you buy... but if you can't, Carvin has a no questions asked return policy. Good luck!

Nov 10, 2002
    Las Vegas
    If you're on a budget, Carvin is not necessarily the least expensive bass you can buy. It is though, IMO, the most bass, the best quality and the greatest number of choices you can get for your money. I have an LB-70 which I love (fastest, most comfortable neck I've ever played) and I strongly recommend the added tonal flexability of the active electronics. Spend the extra and you'll be glad you did!
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You should definitely know whether you want a 4 or a 5. Don't choose based on price because there really isn't a significant price difference between 4 and 5 string Carvins.

I say go with the active electronics. Being able to boost frequencies will help you shape your tone. I have the XB75p and I like the active electronics. As for the piezo pickups...I don't know if I would get this option again. I like the sound of the magnetic pickups better than the piezo alone. However, I've been playing with the piezo blended with the magnetics and it sounds good.

Good luck.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Depends greatly on which pickups and woods you choose.

If I could do it all over again, I'd have used the money I spent on a pimped-out LB75 on a used bass with better pickups/electronics by another maker or one of the Lakland Skylines (which is what replaced my LB75 with; it eats my old Carvin for a light snack, sound-wise)
  7. Rygel45

Dec 28, 2002
    Thanks. I meant to include the lb70 in the post. I'm thinking of going with the j99/hb2, what woods could you suggest?
  8. Rygel45

Dec 28, 2002
    What makes you lean toward/away from the p series upgrade.
  9. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    If you are tight for cash why on earth would you buy a Carvin new :confused: The resale on Carvin is as terrible. This sucks for people who buy new, but is great for those who want a deal on a decent bass. A new Carvin is just a so so deal. Buying a used Carvin is usually about half the price so this doubles your bang for your buck. And they aren't hard to find used :D
  10. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    My view is that if Ed Friedland likes Carvin, they're good basses. I have seen a lot of the Mexican-made Fenders lately and I think they are really a great deal. Take your time, and have fun with your search!
  11. The differences are that one is a 4-string (LB20) and the LB75 is 5-string. The LB20 also has passive electronics versus the active/passive on the LB75. If you want the active/passive but only 4 strings, go for the LB70.