1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with changing to NS610 traditional set on a NS CR5M

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by andysvec, Feb 11, 2013.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

I have a NS CR5M that has had stock strings for 10 years, time to change!

I got a set of NS610 traditionals, with the NS616 B string, and have been currently stringing it up.

Here's the problem, top 4 done and got to the B string and it won't fit through the metal washer on the body. Not even close, the wrapped taper on the end of the string won't slip through.

I've seem many of you have switched to this set, have you had this problem? Can I just string it through the body without the washer/will that effect the B string sound? Should I drill out the washer bigger?

thanks!

2. andyonbass

andyonbass

Jan 1, 2003
    Same problem on an NXT5- the windings too thick. I'd be interested in a solution if anybody has got round this.

3. andysvec

I ended up taking the metal washer out and held it with vice grips and opened up the hole with a small round nut file, worked fine-

4. andyonbass

andyonbass

Jan 1, 2003
    Thanks for the fast response! I'll give that a go later today :)

5. andysvec

no prob, Andys have to help each other out :)

6. sonicyogi

sonicyogi Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2005
    NYC
    I trimmed the silk with a razor blade.